Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can I give my dog almond milk

Customer Question
?...
Can I give my dog almond milk ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2010
Dog Veterinarian: DrChristelle, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
DrChristelle
DrChristelle, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there, I am Dr Christelle and I would like to answer your question. :)

Almonds are known to be toxic to dogs - the kernel inside the pit is toxic. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pains, seizures, lethargy and coma. The toxin is related to cyanide.

It all depends on how the milk is produced, and if any of the kernel gets incorporated into it. I would stay away from feeding my dog almond milk just as a safety precaution - I would guess that they would have to ingest quite a bit for it to be toxic and it all depends on how it was manufactured (I don't know anything about the standards or procedures for human consumption, but humans and dogs are very different regarding poisons). I would not take that chance though.

I hope my answer has been helpful, please let me know if you need any more info or if you are happy, please click the green "accept" to close the session. :)
DrChristelle
DrChristelle, Dog Veterinarian
DrChristelle
DrChristelle
DrChristelle, Dog Veterinarian