Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

what do i feed a dog with addisons disease

Customer Question
what do i feed a...
what do i feed a dog with addison's disease
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/19/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. The good news with addison's treatment is that it is very effective and the problems in the blood with sodium and chloride typically resolve quickly and well once the right dose is found. You don't need to change to any special diet for this condition. It also isn't necessary to add salt or worry about the water filter. He will have enough in his diet and his body will adjust with the medication. If you have more questions please reply back.

But how about he is not eating his regular food? ALl he wants right now is cooked chicken and chicken broth, everyhting else like rice or his kibble he leaves behind...

Once the disease is under control and the medications start working well his appetite will improve. In addition, some dogs can become a little stubborn about eating dog food when they are getting the good stuff like chicken.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Try mixing the chicken with the dog food or even putting some chicken broth on it to encourage him.

I did, he picks the chicken out, even licks and drinks the broth and leaves everything else behind. having gone through the ordeal of being thought to have a stomach issue, yet having something serious like addison's, for 10 days ... now to have to bring him back to dog food, what do I risk if I just keep strictly giving him the kibble so he gets back to eating it "voluntary"? since he lost weight and didn't drink very much at all... is it dangerous to be strict?
At this point it would be dangerous to be strict. It may take several days for the medications to start working. In the short term it is fine to let him eat the chicken while you wait on his appetite to improve. If he still won't eat anything but chicken in a couple of days then have him rechecked. Fluids are the most important so make sure he has plenty of access to something to drink.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Okay thanks
You're welcome. Good luck.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian