Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

Can i use vigamox for my dogs eye infection

Can i use vigamox for my dogs eye infection?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there -- Welcome to Just Answer.

JACUSTOMER-bv13lsok- :

hi thank you

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This medication has not been approved for use in dogs. There are similar medications in the same family that have been approved and are regualrly used in dogs.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

What exactly are you trying treat for?

JACUSTOMER-bv13lsok- :

so this might sound crazy but I had conjuctivitis last week and I gave it to my brothers puppy.it was confirmed by the vet . and now my dog has pus in his eyes..

JACUSTOMER-bv13lsok- :

I have erythromycin opthalmic ointment..can I use that until I can get to the vet tomorrow?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- these are typically viral in origin -- and do not respind to antibiotics. Sometimes there can be bacteria comein secondary -- which is what antibiotics treat for.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If the medication is clean and not expired.... it is likely safe to use. I do have to mention that I cannot prescribe medications. I can however, state that since it has been through animal testing prior to approval for use in people, it will liekly do no harm

JACUSTOMER-bv13lsok- :

ok, I just want to relieve any discomfort until I cans peak with my vet tomorrow. I don't want to put anything in his eye that can cause harm.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very good.,

JACUSTOMER-bv13lsok- :

Thank you very much!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You are very welcome. I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian