Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dogs nose and mouth are dry; her gums are kind of grey,

Customer Question

My dog's nose and mouth are dry; her gums are kind of grey, her eyes look swollen, and she's moving very slowly. What's wrong with her and what can I do to help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Is it fair to say her gums are pale?

4- Any vomiting or diarrhea?

5- Can you take a rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's very recent, only for about 3-4 hours. We couldn't think pf or find anything she could've gotten into. Yes, they're pale, no vomiting or diarrhea, and no, we cannot take her temperature.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Pale gums is not a good sign. This could be as a result of poor circulation secondary to cardiopulmonary problems, anemia, severe dehydration, blood shifting to more dependent organs like brain and kidneys, infections, etc. Your puppy needs immediate veterinary care; I would recommend if you have access to ER vet to have her checked tonight. If you do not have access to ER vet, then you need to get a thermometer and take a rectal temperature. To take a rectal temperature you would:

1- Lubricate tip of thermometer.

2- Insert in rectum about one inch and gently press up against rectal wall.

3- Wait a minute or until it beeps.

4- Normal temperature is 99.5-102.5F

If her temperature is below 99.5F you need to get her temperature up by wrapping her towels with warm water bottles. If her temperature is above 102.5F than do the opposite and use cold towels and cold water bottles. Continue to take her temperature every 15 minutes until normal. Get her to drink by giving her Gatorade or low sodium chicken broth, may need to use dropper if she will not drink. Follow up in the morning with your veterinarian.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter