Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How is the best way to tape a dew claw injury. It is just

Customer Question
How is the best way...
How is the best way to tape a dew claw injury. It is just torn. Front paw, and for how long do I keep it taped. She is a very active dog. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

How much of the nail is missing?

Is she licking the area?
None of the nail is missing, it looks like it was just bent backwards or sideways. She was yelping while walking, and she is licking the area., I know it is painful to her.
If the nail has cracked it will fall off on it's own after it heals. If she is licking it, infection can result. The nail should be covered with Neosporin or bacitracin twice a day. Wrapping the area is easier said than done. Most dogs will chew the bandage right off. You need Elasticon tape from the pharmacy and cotton padding to cover it. The cotton is wrapped around the wrist in a 1/2-1 inch thick layer after the ointment is applied. The Elasticon is then wrapped over the cotton and onto the fur. It should not be wrapped tightly or the toes can swell. If she pulls on the tape she can also create a tourniquet and the toes will swell. The bandage should be changed if she chews it, the toes look swollen or every day so ointment can be applied. Buffered aspirin can be used at 5 mg per pound body weight every 12-24 hours as needed for pain. It must be given with food.

Since there is a tear in the skin, how long will I need to tape for paw. and would you reccomend a stitch or two to seal the wound. If no stitches, how long will it take to heal itself w/out the stitches.

How large is the tear?
Upon further inspection, the nail is broken. I thought there was a tear in the skin. Now I can tell that the nail is split at the bottom of the nail. There is not a tear in the skin, it is just the nail that is split.
The nail will grow out and the damaged part will fall off. It may take several weeks for that to occur. The damaged section should be removed if possible but it is usually painful. The bandage should only be applied until the lameness is gone and the nail has healed enough that the quick does not look exposed. It could be 5-7 days.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian