Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

what does a toad excrete that would make a dog foam at the…

Customer Question
what does a toad excrete...
what does a toad excrete that would make a dog foam at the mouth?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks for the question,

Toads and frogs are able to excrete a toxin from their skin which is bitter and makes any animal that picks them up in their mouth drop them at once, this is obviously a defense mechanism. The nature of the toxin varies with the species involved, with some species it is just bitter but with other species such as the cane toad it is potentially toxic to the animal concerned and with other such as poison dart frogs it is toxic to the extreme. When you consider these facts you can see the toxin and its composition must be very variable.

If your dog has picked up a common species of toad then there is usually no problem, these toads as we know are able to excrete a slight toxin from their skins This toxin can make your dog foam at the mouth and salivate and sometimes vomit or feel slightly unwell.

There are many possible varieties of toads and if this is a non toxic species then all you need do here is to flush out your dog's mouth with lots of water and the situation will normally correct itself in a few hours.

Be aware though that in some parts of the world including parts of the USA there are poisonous toads and toad poisoning can be very serious or even life threatening

Here are a couple of links where you can research the subject in depth :

1. LINK

2. LINK

My advice : As you live in the USA where in certain parts poison toads can be a problem you should consult your vet without delay even if this means using an ER vet just to be on the safe side. One of my American colleagues once told me " I have seen 100 pound dogs die from mouthing one of those toads. " Better safe than sorry,

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Is it possible for the dog to still show effects of the poisoning almost 24 hours later? Shaking and vomiting!
Hello again,

If your dog is still showing symptoms 24 hours later then there is some suspicion Riley was exposed to one of the toxic species. With the non toxic species symptoms will pass within an hour or so.

Best play safe here and get Riley to a vet just in case ...

Regards,

Scott
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian