VetInternist
VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Staff Internist and Medical Director
21344439

I have a dog that has brown smelly stuff in her ear, what can

I have a dog that has brown smelly stuff in her ear, what can I do to relieve this problem?
Chat Conversation Started
ResidentVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer

ResidentVet :

This is probably an ear infection.

ResidentVet :

The best way to treat this is with topical antibiotic solutions and ear cleaners, but sometimes you can get on top of it by cleaning them at home.

ResidentVet :

You can use a mixture of white vinegar and water

ResidentVet :

Mix equal parts of vinegar and water and pour it in the ear. Massage gently and let your dog shake the excess fluid out.

ResidentVet :

Then get some cotton balls and wipe out the ears.

ResidentVet :

Don't use a Q-tip because you could injure the ear drum

ResidentVet :

This is a relatively safe procedure unless the eardrum is ruptured (not very common)

ResidentVet :

If the problem persists you will need to be more aggressive.

ResidentVet :

Do you have any other questions?

JACUSTOMER-3vvhcwrg- :

She has itched them with her paw and has a sore will the solution sting hur ear where it is red and sore? and will an OTC medicine help? I have Sulfodene and a couple of other OTC that my friend gave me to use? As far as being more agressive what do you mean by that?

ResidentVet :

Yes, the vinegar mixture may sting. There are some other ear cleaners that you can purchase on websites like Dr. Foster and Smith, but many of those aren't very soothing either. I like EpiOtic Advance, it is the least irritating, but you need to buy it from a vet.

JACUSTOMER-3vvhcwrg- :

Does the EpiOtic Advance need an RX?

ResidentVet :

Technically I don't think so, but it is only sold by veterinarians. If you see it on a website they will probably require a prescription.

ResidentVet :

Do you have the thick white Sulfadiazene cream?

JACUSTOMER-3vvhcwrg- :

No, the liquid in a bottle. Ok, so what can I do that will not sting her in the meantime? About taking a more agressive aproach what do ou mean by that?

ResidentVet :

Sorry, by aggressive I mean buckling down, going ot the vet and getting the EpiOtic and topical ear antibiotics

ResidentVet :

Do you have a local pet store like PetSmart or Petco nearby?

JACUSTOMER-3vvhcwrg- :

Yes, and also a feed store

ResidentVet :

They will have some ear cleaning products that are probably more soothing than vinegar/water. There are a million products out there and they vary by store and geographic location (needless to say I don't have them all memorized)

ResidentVet :

In the meantime you can put an e-collar on her to keep her from scratching the ears

ResidentVet :

I the inflammation decreases then I would try the vinegar/waer solution.

ResidentVet :

Ideally a topical steroid creme that has an antibiotic in it would soothe the ears the most, unfortunately this will require a prescription

JACUSTOMER-3vvhcwrg- :

Ok, so I will make an appt for my dog to go to the vet. Thank you for your help

ResidentVet :

You are welcome. Do you have any other questions?

JACUSTOMER-3vvhcwrg- :

No, thanks for your help