Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My standard poodle has recurrent sebaceous cysts . Is there

My standard poodle has recurrent...
My standard poodle has recurrent sebaceous cysts . Is there any link between diet and this condition? She's on good dog food, Merrick's kibble and canned.
Early this summer, she had to have surgery to remove a very nasty, oozing cyst located at the base of her backside, right at her tail. Of course we had to do it and I ended up paying $1,000 in the end. I would like to know if/how to manage this -- can't afford to continue to pay money for surgery etc. Just can't do it and I love my dog, of course.
9/18/2010
Chat Conversation Started
Doc Sara :

Hi there, Welcome to JustAnswer :)

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

Hi

Doc Sara :

Excellent - thanks for joining the chat :)

Doc Sara :

How old is your poodle?

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

She is 8 and will be 9 in December

Doc Sara :

She's about the right age then where we start to see lots of lumps and bumps happening.

Doc Sara :

There is no good link between diet and sebaceous cysts that I am aware of

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

Yes. I'm sure that must be tue

Doc Sara :

but the nice thing about sebaceous cysts is that they are benign - the worst they usually do is what you've already seen - breaking open and being an annoyance to your pup and you

Doc Sara :

If surgery isn't always an option, some sebaceous cysts will close over on their own with appropriate nursing care and some antibiotics

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

Well, I've always had her on a good diet and was curious is i could "control" the cysts ... like I have any control. The one at the base of her tail kinda scared me and I just want to avoid that if I can

Doc Sara :

I will often do this type of treatment if the pet isn't a good candidate for anesthesia or the owners just don't want to do surgery for whatever reason

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

I've been talking to my regular vet, the groomer, etc.

Doc Sara :

I understand - you want to protect her from as much as you can - as far as I'm aware there's not much to do to prevent these

Doc Sara :

You probably already know this - but it's important to have lumps checked to be sure they are cysts cs something more sinister like cancer

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

Yes. I have to admit that I'm a little bit of a purist with the whole anitbiotics things, recognizing full well that I am not a Vet. So, I respect your knowledge and appreciate your input.

Doc Sara :

If you can hang on one moment I'll look up the nutritional info on Merrick's

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

Yes. I've had them needle biopsied a couple of times and each time they were benign.

Doc Sara :

Excellent!

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

thank goodness....I was wondering if a less "oily" diet might help?

Doc Sara :

Well, that would seem to make sense - I just don't think anyone has done the research

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

hah! maybe I should. :)

Doc Sara :

I'd read your paper!

Doc Sara :

Still looking at Merrick's website and ingredients - looks like a very solid diet so far

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

At present she has five small cysts and I think the best course is just to keep an eye out, keep her on the good food...it is probably just what it is but I thought I would put it out to the virtual "vet" world. Cuz you just never know!

Doc Sara :

Hey, gathering info from different sources always helps

Doc Sara :

I like what I'm seeing on the sample of Merrick diets I've looked at

Doc Sara :

As long as your vet thinks they are cysts, I would continue to monitor and address on an as needed basis. Also, lots of poodles need their teeth cleaned, so you could potentially have one or two taken off any time she's under for her teeth

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

Oh good. Yes, it was recommended to me by a holistic dog trainer who actually promotes raw diets. She said that Merrick's was the next best thing. I've stuck with it for some time now. My dogs certainly love it. That's a great idea about the cleaning. I'll keep that in mind.

Doc Sara :

Excellent - are there any more questions I can handle for you today?

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

Nope. I appreciate your time and perspective. Have a great Saturday!

Doc Sara :

Thank you - you too. If you're happy with my service please click 'Accept' Have a nice weekend!

JACUSTOMER-h1gtk21s- :

Will do Dr. Sara.

Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian