Dog Veterinary

My 32 lb. dog ingested about 3-4 in of meat filled dog rawhide…

My 32 lb. dog ingested...
My 32 lb. dog ingested about 3-4 in of meat filled dog rawhide about 30 hrs ago. Since then, she has not been moving much (other than going out to pee), not eating at all and not drinking much.

I have heard that if a dogs nose is cool, then they feel okay and if it is... Read full answer

I have heard that if a dogs nose is cool, then they feel okay and if it is warm, then they feel bad. Is this true? Her nose is cool...

I am waiting for her vet to open so that I can take her but I am worried sick and wanted some information.
8/18/2010
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there

The cool nose thing is a bit of an 'old wives tale' i'm afraid- as although a dog with a fever will generally have a warm nose, dogs can be quite ill without having a fever and so the nose still be cool to touch- so thats not something to rely on.

It sounds as if the rawhide has done one of two things- its either scratched the stomach lining, and so given her a nasty stomach ache, or if she swallowed it whole it may have caused a blockage- but usually if this is the case they will vomit or retch quite a lot- so hopefully its more of a stomach pain than a blockage. A dog with a tummy ache will be very subdued.

Basically until your vet opens i would just keep her nice and quiet- just offering sips of water, and don't even offer food.

It may be that she'll just need some injections to settle her stomach down, and make her feel better- your vet will be able to tell you when they have had a good feel of her tummy.

Regards Andrea

She did ingest the 3-4" piece whole but she has not shown any signs of vomitting or wretching. She is just very still and doesn't move alot. She would normally jump up on the bed but she can't and has a hard time moving up/down the steps to go outside.

I have read that the rawhide swells once ingested and that they are NOT digested....is this true? If so, will she be able to 'poop' it out?

The fact she's not vomited hopefully means that the piece hasn't caused a blockage. I suspect its just given her a bad stomach ache- which is why she's so quiet and doesn't want to jump up.

Rawhide does swell once ingested, and is actually digested very slowly ( you won't see the hide pass undigested in the motions) so there is a good chance that she would pass this- it may be that she'll just need some drugs from your vet to settle her stomach down in the meantime.

It may be that the piece of hide is now in her intestinal tract and has caused a spasm within the intestinal wall- this is very painful and would certainly cause these symptoms.

IF it would turn out to be a blockage, what does this mean?

If there is a blockage- so if the rawhide has managed to cause a blockage within the small intestine, then this may then need to be removed surgically, in some cases if the guts go into spasm, then the object causing the spasm just won't move along any further and is best removed- once your vet has had a feel at her tummy they will have a better idea, as blockages are usually possible to feel- and an xray would confirm if the hide has caused a blockage- so if there is any doubt, then your vet will advise an abdominal xray to check for a blockage.
Since it has been about 32 hours since she ingested, would the blockage have already occured?
Its possible- as it should really be in the intestines by now- she's either feeling bad because the hide is passing slowly through the guts causing 'gut ache' or because the hide is stuck somewhere in the gut itself- but until she's examined when your vets open you won't know i'm afraid. Hopefully its just moving through slowly. Keep her comfy till your vet opens, then get her examined and possibly xrayed to see what's going on.
Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Dog Veterinarian
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Have a 10 yr old Russ/beagle 18 lbs, has stopped eating
Have a 10 yr old Jack Russ/beagle 18 lbs, has stopped eating except grass, drinks and pees, throws up water. On fixed income. But have borrowed $400 from friend. Emergency hospitals several hrs wait a… read more
DocPaul
DocPaul
Accidentally gave my 40 lb puppy the Trifexis meant for dogs
Accidentally gave my 40 lb puppy the Trifexis meant for dogs 65 lbs and over. Worried about her as she was already feeling sick to her stomach for some reason … read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
7 pound shi tzu/chihuaahua mix ate a 2 inch rawhide bone by
7 pound shi tzu/chihuaahua mix ate a 2 inch rawhide bone by 'dingo" reallyslugg … read more
Dr. Sandy
Dr. Sandy
Owner - Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
My 100 lb lab has been acting out recently and ate a
Hello my 100 lb lab has been acting out recently and ate a moderate amt of chocolate today along with about 30 pills of Advil . I think he just might be stressed and feels lonely when we leave in the … read more
Associate Veterinarian,
I can not find anything our 15month Boxer Lucy could have
I can not find anything our 15month Boxer Lucy could have gotten into. She was fine yesterday playing in the snow, getting into mischief as usual. Licking like a crazy lady. Last night after dinner sh… read more
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Veterinarian,
BA
Not sure have three dogs and likely one has injested Decon,
Not sure have three dogs and likely one has injested Decon, one is eating grass right now other two acting pretty normal… read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My 32 lb beagle who is VERY food motivated, ate appx 6 ozs
My 32 lb beagle who is VERY food motivated, ate appx 6 ozs of white yogart covered raisins. I am not sure what time she at them, between 0830 and 1030, and as of now 11) she appears fine. Her nose is … read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
my dog raided my bin which she doesnt ever do, when I walk
my dog raided my bin which she doesn't ever do, when I walk in she had a snotty nose, and I found the base of a chicken pad licked and sucked the inside of the pad being a product that draws water fro… read more
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
My German Shorthair Pointer has diarrea and appears to be straining
My German Shorthair Pointer has diarrea and appears to be straining to get something out when she poops. It has big diarrea poops and some blood which is bright red. This all started two days ago afte… read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
dog: ate a cool whip dish full of grapes..I heard they were poisonous
My dog ate a cool whip dish full of grapes. I heard they were poisonous to dogs. Is that true and what should I do?… read more
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
Veterinary Specialist,
My 1 year old miniature golden doodle has a dry nose, dull
My 1 year old miniature golden doodle has a dry nose, dull eyes, and doesn't want to move. She was full of energy this morning and went for an hour walk. At 3:00, I took her out for a pee and a short … read more
Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove
Relief veterinarian,
My chihuahua just swallowed a large peice of rawhide. Will
My chihuahua just swallowed a large peice of rawhide. Will it pass on it's own? Is there anything I need to do at this point?… read more
Dr. John
Dr. John
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
My dog has been getting sick off & on for the past few hours.
My dog has been getting sick off & on for the past few hours. It is all liquid & muscusy. She was ok for about an hour or more so I tried to give her an ice cube & that was ok, then I gave her water &… read more
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Veterinarian,
My 14 week old Great Dane puppy swallowed a flat rawhide chew
My 14 week old Great Dane puppy swallowed a flat rawhide chew (totally softened by chewing) about 30 min ago. He loves the rawhide but has never swallowed one before. I'm seeing a lot of conflicting i… read more
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine,
My shepard/husky mix is 7 yrs old has been coughing for two
My shepard/husky mix is 7 yrs old has been coughing for two days now. We live in Denver Colorado. It snowed here for the first time 4 days ago and got very cold as well. Their house is in the garage b… read more
Veterinarian,
My 10 year old female spayed poodle (8#) has flea allergy dermatitis.
My 10 year old female spayed poodle (8#) has flea allergy dermatitis. I applied Frontline Plus for Dogs & Puppies at about 10:30 am WCT (it's now 8:00 pm) and she's really uncomfortable. Her skin is i… read more
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Veterinarian,
my dog just got home from a bad 32 hr reaction from arepromazine.
my dog just got home from a bad 32 hr reaction from arepromazine. and was on IV for the day-- Now she has a swollen paw/arm, as well as a hard mass under her armpit-- is this dangerous and what can be… read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
dachshund: lb..is displaying signs of stomach distress, moaning..chew
My 17 lb dachshund is displaying signs of stomach distress, moaning, and generally uncomfortable. Last night he had a rawhide chew about 2 inches squared. It appeared he had difficulty swollowing it. … read more
DocPaul
DocPaul