Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog was stung by a wasp on his paw about 2 hours ago. For

about the past 30 minutes...
my dog was stung by a wasp on his paw about 2 hours ago. For about the past 30 minutes you can visibly see his paw twitch. Is there anything we can give him over the counter for his pain and discomfort?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/16/2010
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Christian K. :

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. How much does he weigh? Does he take any medications or have other medical conditions? Is there any redness or swelling?

Customer:

Hi Dr. Christian. He weighs 11lbs. He is not on any medications at all. We have not been able to locate the exact spot that he was stung. Tough to tell if his paw is swolen

Customer:

We saw him get stung though and killed the wasp, it's just that his paw pads are so big, it's hard to tell if any of them are swollen.

Dr. Christian K. :

There are several things you can do for this. First of all an ice pack for 10 minutes 2-3 times a day might help. You can also give 1/2 of a 25mg benadryl every 8-12 hours. It might make him sleepy. You can also give 1/2 of an 81mg aspirin for pain and swelling every 12 hours but it shouldn't be given for more than 3-4 days.

Customer:

so, can he have the benadryl and the aspirin at the same time?

Dr. Christian K. :

It is fine to give them together.

Customer:

any idea what is causing his arm to twitch?

Customer:

and are there any signs that we should watcch for to know if we should take him to the vet?

Dr. Christian K. :

Probably pain would be the most likely cause. If he doesn't improve with those meds its best to have him checked. If thing worsen, he becomes lethargic or there is a lot of swelling then have him seen.

Customer:

Dr. Christian, thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate it.

Dr. Christian K. :

You are welcome. Good luck.

Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian