Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

my dog smell like sulfur

Customer Question

my dog smell like sulfur
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. You need to take him to a vet.

12:16 PM

But, there's some good news here.

12:16 PM

Even if you can't afford the fancy tests, at least get in for the evaluation, to ensure there is not a more serious condition.

12:16 PM

Many vets are now offering new clients a free examination. So call around.

12:16 PM

Lots of vets where you live. I'll bet you can find that free exam.

12:17 PM

Then, at least they can direct you based on the smell and condition of the skin what type of products you may need.

12:17 PM

Yeast infections can smell like that, so you may be wasting your money with all those shampoos, etc...

12:18 PM

I hope that info is helpful. Please consider to click "accept" so JustAnswer recognizes my time and courtesy to address the question. Thanks. XXXXX

Dr. Andy :

**********

Dr. Andy :

This odor you are describing can be an indication of a yeast infection, an oral cavity problem, and even kidney disease can cause the breath to smell like sulfur. The coat continues to smell because if they groom themselves the odor goes all over the body. I can't say with any certainty what you are smelling is even a serious problem or not, but you need that free examination to at least start there.

Dr. Andy :