Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog shakes his head alot, mostly when he barks, but at other

times too....
My dog shakes his head alot, mostly when he barks, but at other times too.
7/27/2010
Sue Skelding
Sue Skelding, Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Skelding. I have a few questions

Does Sam have a discharge or odor coming from his ears?

How often does he shake his head?

Does he cry when you rub his ears?

Is he eating and drinking?

What kinds of drops are you putting in his ears?

There is no odor or discharge

He shakes his head at least 10 times a day

He whines when I rub his ears

He is eating and drinking. He was vomiting up white stuff for a few days but I haven't noticed him doing that in the last three or four days.

I was using Happy Jack Mitex

Hi again. Most times in dogs, the root of the problem is yeast. Although, it is not surprising to find a bacterial involvement as well. Yeast if normally just hanging around waiting for a reason to invade. Sometimes dog scratch their ears, and then the yeast just go crazy in the ear, and set up a big infection. The problem is that the yeast are usually way down in the ear and of course you can't see them without a microscope.

Happy Jack Mitex is for mites. Dogs don't usually get mites (although I have seen it rarely in twenty years). Cats get mites and dogs get yeast or bacteria.

Therefore, the Happy Jack Mitex isn't going to help. I would suggest taking your dog to the vet and letting them do a swab and slide of the ear. That way they can tell you exactly what it is, and then tell you best how to treat it.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please push accept and I will move on to the next question.

Dr. Suez

Sue Skelding
Sue Skelding, Veterinarian

This is one of the rare things that there is not over the counter meds for. There are also some bad consequences to bad ears.

It is imperative to look down the ear canal with a otoscope to make sure the tympanic membrane (ear drum in us kind of), because some medications that if put down and the membrane is not intack can have serious detrimental consequences to the brain.

Secondly, you need to know if it is yeast or bacteria so you can treat appropriately.

Sue Skelding
Sue Skelding
Sue Skelding, Veterinarian