Doctor W
Doctor W, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years practicing small animal medicine and surgery
21789755

my small dog has a very loose front tooth. I noticed it because

my small dog has a very loose front tooth. I noticed it because He licks the air often. Should I have it extracted or will it fall out on its own?How serious is it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor W replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question to Just Answer

The tooth will fall out by itself eventually.

However, the fact that Bailey has one loose tooth indicates that he has stage IV periodontal disease. This is very serious. It indicates that he has severe infection around some of his teeth that has progressed to bone loss.

This chronic infection can cause liver, kidney and heart disease. I strongly urge you to allow your veterinarian to do whatever dental procedures are indicated to help treat this condition.

The brushing is good, but save your money with the water and food treatments.

Once Bailey has been treated by your veterinarian, continue to brush his teeth and you might consider the use of Hills t/d (dental diet). t/d is remarkably effective in some dogs in slowing the progress of periodontal disease.

Good luck with Bailey

Customer

No doctor patient relationship is formed by this communication. This advice is no substitute for a complete physical examination and appropriate diagnostics provided by a licensed veterinarian.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the information and advice.I knew in my heart that I needed to go the $$$ route...
Expert:  Doctor W replied 7 years ago.
I understand.

Good luck

Customer