Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's rear left paw is causing limping...he has been

licking it and I see...
My dog's rear left paw is causing limping...he has been licking it and I see a little light red discoloration around the pad but can't see anything that is causing this. He had been chasing a car -running really fast when he came back and was limping. His appetite is good and his nose is moist and cool. He usually is right there at the door to greet me but would rather just stay in whatever lying down position he happens to be in rather than walk. Should I apply any first aid or give him a baby aspirin? he is around 2-1/2-3 years old. about 25 lbs....a border collie mix....lean and very fast (usually)
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/21/2010
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• Can you see any pus or bleeding in the area?
  • Does he take any other medications or have other medical conditions?
  • Is he putting some weight on the leg?

tried to see about bleeding but ended up just watching him lick an pull slightly on the pads, particularly the back pad. it appears a little pink around and between the pads.

He takes no medications. He is putting weight on the leg now

Thank you for the information. It could be he scraped the pad while running. Here are some things you can do in this situation:

• Soak the foot in a warm, epson salt bath for 5-10 minutes twice daily. This draws out infection and helps the healing process.

• Dry the foot thoroughly and apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the area

• Wrap the foot lightly with a bandage to keep it clean and dry. If the bandage gets wet or dirty then change the bandage immediately.

• You can give 1/2 of a 325mg buffered aspirin every 12 hours for pain. It can be given safely for 3-4 days but after than can cause stomach upset and ulcers.

If things don't improve in a few days or worsen then have him seen by your vet. It should heal quickly. If you have more questions please let me know.

Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian