Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is experiencing a sudden pain behind the right ear and neck.

My dog is experiencing a...

My dog is experiencing a sudden onset of pain behind the right ear at the neck and winces and wines when touching this area. Similar to where a human might have a swollen gland although no swelling is apparent.

7/14/2010
Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.

From the description, it sounds like a muscle pull or cervical disc issue if the pain is behind the ears. An ear issue may be at hand if it is closer to the ear. The lymph nodes on dogs are located just under the jaw towards the ear but under the jawbone (mandible).

In any of these cases, continue to monitor for pain and swelling of the area. I would advise not to use a collar if at all possible (in case it is a neck issue) and rest.

If there are any systemic symptoms such as loss of appetite, inability to chew, difficulty with joints or continued pain then a vet visit is advised.

Aspirin is the over the counter medication of choice with dogs. Others can cause liver problems.

The dosage should be 10 mg/pound every 12 hours. The buffered kind is preferred and do give with food to avoid stomach upset.

I hope this information helps!

Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian

To be more specific, the tenderness is actually below the ear and at the back of the jaw where the jaw meets the neck. The pain is not on the jaw bone per se, but on the neck where the ear, the jaw, and the neck meet.

The lymph node is just under where the point of the mandible is. It may be slightly forward and lower from the area you area describing.

The area pinpointed is a muscle that attaches to the skull and neck. A long muscle that can be pulled easily if the head is jerked, pulled, or caught by something. Just a few thoughts.

Also just forward is the masseter muscle. This is the large chewing muscle can become inflamed as well.

Generally aspirin or a stronger prescription NSAID can be given to control pain.