Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience:  34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.
22217170

Can Murphys Oil Soap be toxic to dogs

Can Murphy's Oil Soap be toxic to dogs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jay Mawhinney replied 7 years ago.
Hi
The Murphy's Oil Soap is potentially very caustic to the mucous membranes of the mouth, throat and stomach. If there is really an ingestion of the product it will cause severe irritation and even burns to the mucous membranes of the mouth, esophagus and stomach and even ulcerations. It would be best to take your pet in for exam and treatment. They will probably wish to do a basic workup with blood work and maybe urinalysis and radiographs to evaluate but they need to initiate treatment with carafate and other gut protectants. You can give some milk to start but get him in for treatment. Hope this helps.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Please, if you agree with my advice, hit the accept button on your question. Also you need to deposit the fee first if you have not already done so. This is the only way we receive our commission on the payment.
thanks.We are not examining your animal and can only advise and give suggestions relative to your description.It is against the practice act and in direct violation of our license to do otherwise.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He did not ingest it directly. I have been using it on my floors, which of course, he lies on and maybe licks up crumbs, etc.
Hi
OK! Make certain it is dried before he lies on it. Once dried ,the small amount possibly ingested from crumbs shouldn't be a problem. If is starts salivating after licking crumbs however I would consider the possibility that he has a bitter taste from the oil. It would not likely be a toxic dose as long as it is dry before he is near it.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Dr. Jay Mawhinney