Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is vomiting yellow bile and has liquid diarrhea

My dog is vomiting yellow...

My dog is vomiting yellow bile and has very liquid diarrhea. She refused to eat earlier but has had a small amount now and her stomach seems bloated and firm. It has been about 10 hours of this and she has vomited 4 or 5 times. I tried giving clean filtered water and tried to give a small amount of pepto bismol in a piece of banana (which she normally loves) but she wouldn't eat it

7/1/2010
Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian

There are many things that can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs. It could be an intestinal upset, liver or kidney disease, an infection. The thing that has me concerned is the fact that her stomach is bloated and firm. There is a condition in large dogs, like Golden Retrievers called gastric dilatation and volvulus. This happens when their stomach gets full of food or air and it can twist on itself. If that is what's going on it is very serious and you should have her examined by a vet as soon as possible. I don't want to alarm you and there are other things that can cause a bloated stomach, but this is very possible and very dangerous. If she has this and isn't treated she could die. This is a situation that I would recommend going to a vet for an examination.

Good Luck

Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian

She seems fairly normal in temperament, I just took her for a walk and she seemed fine but still has the diarrhea (really liquid). Her nose is wet, whites of her eyes white. We don't have a vet in town and it is Canada Day today so nothing is open. Is it ok to see how she does today and then take her tomorrow? I am getting married on Saturday and have stayed up with her most of the night and she is my priority but there are lots of things going on, I just need to know how urgently I should take her. The closet vet is an hour away.

Thanks

Thank you for the reply and a chance to further explain. If she is acting normally, you can wait it out, it might not be Gastric dilatation. I just wanted you to know that there is a condition that has similar symptoms to what you are describing. Sometimes dogs get into something that irritates their sintestines and it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. The first thing I do is don't give them anything at all to eat or drink for 24 hours. That allows the intestinal tract to settle down. After that I would feed something very bland like boiled hamburger and boiled rice for a few days. Feed small amounts every few hours as opposed to 1 or 2 big meals. I would try 1 cup per meal every 3-4 hours during the day on the first day, then you can slowly increase the amount and feed a little less often. There are many things that can cause her symptoms, but they often require blood tests to determine. If she continues to act normally, you can try my suggestions, but if she acts painful in the abdomen, or becomes lethargic, you should have her examined at that time. Sorry to drop this on your big day.

Good Luck and congratulations