Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

min pin: with a history of pancreatitis who seems to feel…

Customer Question
I have a 9 year...
I have a 9 year old min pin with a history of pancreatitis who seems to feel like she has pocket of fluid under her skin near her neck. I found a rash on her stomach last night. She seems uncomfortable and I just don't know what to think. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/30/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Lazarcheff, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lazarcheff
Dr. Lazarcheff, Dog Veterinarian
Good morning,

I have a couple of questions,

Any open sores or wounds near the swelling?, is the swelling warm to the touch or painful? Is she still eating and drinking OK?
She doesn't have any open sores or wounds and the fluid is soft almost like when the doctor would put IV fluids under the skin to be absorbed over time. She did eat dinner last night and didn't turn down a treat when I offered just now. She doesn't moan or whimper or flinch when I touch her but she makes a little uncomfortable noise when she moves.
Is the swelling on top of her neck or underneath by the throat?

She's obese and always has some extra skin on the back of her neck but it feels softer to me. She just vomited most of her dinner.

Is she running a fever?
I don't think so. Is there a way for me to check or something to look or feel for if I don't have a thermometer? She doesn't feel warm and she isn't panting.
The thermometer is the only way to know for sure but it doesn't sound like she does from what your describing. Some times stings or bites can cause signs like your describing. are there spiders or stinging insects around?
We're in north Florida - mosquitos are everywhere.
They are the state bird aren't they?, But I was thinking more like bee's, wasps, ants or chiggers.

Then again this could all come back to a pancreatitis. Certainly the vomiting, and being uncomfortable...but the swelling on the neck and the rash on the abdomen are odd.

I'm not sure about the other bugs - I've been through a sting with my other dog and it was an instant reaction. She's just not being herself and I'm probably worrying myself into more than what it is.

It's been a while since the pancreatitis and she's on a really strict diet. I hope that's not what it is but I think I'll take her in to our vet this morning to check her bloodwork. Thank you for your help.

Thats probably best, XXXXX XXXXX

Let me know how it turns out.

Dr.Kevin