Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

my dog is trying to eat grass to throw up, i believe she ate…

Customer Question
my dog is trying to...
my dog is trying to eat grass to throw up, i believe she ate something and is trying to make it come up what can i do to help her? she is wobbily on her feet and skiddish when you go near her? can you help me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/30/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

can you help me

Customer:

are you there?

Customer:

it is like she needs to throw up but i don't know what she could of eaten

Customer:

she is lathargic and making me nervous....ok

Dr. Andy :

Agreed. With the wobbly feet and behavior change, this actually constitutes a emergency vet to the visit for supportive care. I'll make a few suggestions, but personally, she could get much better treatment at a vet.

Customer:

nobody open at this time

Dr. Andy :

My primary concerns include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new dog food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

- Less commonly, endocrine disease like Addison’s (where the body produces insufficient steroids from the adrenal glands)

- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease or failure (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

Dr. Andy :

To help settle the stomach you could try one of the following drugs. My favorite product is Pepcid (an over-the-counter antacid).

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Pepcid

.

Prilosec

.

Zantac

.

Customer:

can you give her hydroen peroxide to induce vomiting

Customer:

it is like she got into something and now is trying to vomit it up she did get some flem up but nothing else came up

Dr. Andy :

No. She is already nauseated. If she needs to vomit something she will. If a foreign body was ingested, and you try to force vomiting with peroxide, you'll make the problem 3x worse.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

can i give her tums

Dr. Andy :

Not really. I really really prefer one of the 3 I recommended.

Customer:

ok...

Dr. Andy :

Please keep in mind, I am worried about the symptoms you have described, and I do still strongly urge you to seek an ER vet for better care.

Dr. Andy :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I also greatly appreciate positive feedback, after you click accept, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. I can only be credited for my time, if you click accept. Thanks. XXXXX

Customer:

ok

Dr. Andy :

Your welcome. Good Luck with Curly.

Dr. Andy :

May I be of any further assistance?