Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

hi my dog over the past few years has had a fatty lump on…

Customer Question
hi my dog over the past...
hi
my dog over the past few years has had a fatty lump on his back...its been tested twice and all is fine....just fatty lump.....my vet drains it the odd time if it gets bigger....it usually puffs up a bit then shrinks....the last time it filled up i did not get in to the vet quick enough to drain and my dog rolled in the yard and it popped....it has since shrunk and all the yellow puss or fat has released....no blood or anything....all flat and clean now....but i can see the small hole i guess where it opened....i trimed the hair around it to keep clean....my vet it on holidays and just curious can i put something on it to help heal it or leave it be and dry...??....he can not get to it or lick it....its centre on his back.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/29/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
You can apply an antibiotic ointment to this opening. If it opened and drained, it could be a cyst that may refill again. Lipomas don't usually open and drain out because they are attached deep in the tissue.

will the ointment eventually seal the hole or should i keep the hole clean incase it fills and releases again...?

If it is a sebaceous cyst, it will re-open unless the cyst cavity is removed. It has a lining like a balloon that will keep filling up. If it is something that ruptured, then the skin over it should heal. You can't go wrong keeping it clean.