Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

dog: alprazolam and has been restless..lot of chewing and pacing…

Our dog has been given...
Our dog has been given both Chlorpromaizine and Alprozolam. After reading about Chlorpromaizine I do not want to continue. This evening she had 2MG of Alprazolam and has been restless, doing a lot of chewing and pacing. Anything but calm. She is always very fearful of the unusual and loud noises panic her. We don't what to do. Help
Jan Kelley, Portland, Oregon
6/29/2010
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

We can see some dogs that react abnormally to Alprazolam and end up with excitation as a side effect. It sounds like this is what we're dealing with in Shelby. If the effects are severe, then I would call up your local ER vet and see if they carry Flumazenil- this is a reversal agent for the medication. Otherwise, you just have to ride out the signs and allow them to resolve over the next 6-12 hours.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you. I suspected that a drug reaction may be the case. We will not need to take her to ER. Our other Golden is peaceful and calm.

Is there anything different we can give her to help calm her especially over the 4th?

We have tried homopathic remedys and they haven't worked.

I would try Acepromazine (a sedative), it works well. Clomicalm is another option, used a lot for behavior disorders and thunderstorm/ firework phobias. Both of these do not have the known hyper-excitation reaction that the Valium-type meds like Alprazolam has.

Some research warns against Acepromazine. They no longer use it routinely in humans because of lasting side effects and although it stills the body it doesn't necessarily calm the mind. I won't use it. I will research Clomicalm. Thanks

Dogs are not people. Ace is a great sedative, tranquilizer and we use it almost daily as a pre-anesthetic.

There are side effects to every medication, you are not going to find anything that is 100% safe or 100% effective. My suggestion is to try different ones and see what works in your dog. Obviously it's not Alprazolam. It may be Clomicalm or it may be Ace. There's only one way to find out.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gary, Ace is a phenothiazine. I would suggest that there should be better options for our fearful pet.
I'm aware of what class Ace is, I'm just stating in my experience it works well with thunderstorm phobias.

Clomicalm (Clomipramine) is a TCA (tri-cyclic anti-depressant). Fluoxetine (Prozac) is an SSRI (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor) that can also be used- works better in cats than dogs. Buspirone is an azapirone that blocks seratonin release and has also been used.

Some will also try attention diversion programs. In dogs that are food motivated, you make up a food maze for the dog to navigate- finding treats, licking peanut butter out of a kong, ect. Start this 30 minutes before the storm and give one of the above meds at the same time. Eventually, they'll associate storms with food and you have effectively cured the phobia.