Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

German Shepherd mix can no longer walk/stands briefly. If…

Customer Question
German Shepherd mix can no...
German Shepherd mix can no longer walk/stands briefly. If I place my hands lightly on each hip I can feel the bones rubbing when she tries to walk. She is 16yrs old and somewhat vibrant otherwise. Need to know what it is, if I can help this at all. Hasnt been to a vet in years no shots updated etc. Don't really believe in xrays and expensive surgeries at her age. Now giving about 150mg buffered asa for pain. Please help w/diagnosis, better pain regimen, solution or aids. thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/28/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

It sounds like pretty severe hip arthritis to me or hip dysplasia.

The best course of action is to get her on a combination of pain meds:
1. Anti-inflammatory med like Rimadyl
2. Opiate pain med like Tramadol
3. +/- nerve pain med like Gabapentin
4. +/- chronic pain med like Amantadine

Typically I'll have these guys on Rimadyl + Tramadol and then add others if needed.

If you don't' want to get her seen, then you can use Aspirin. The dose is 5 mg per lb every 12-24 hours as needed. It's not as good as the others, but it's the only over the counter med that is not toxic in dogs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

what are the doses of gaba and amantadine

also, what are the supplements that fill the entire aisle in petsmart for joint issues - is this related? what happened to the tissue/ligaments/tendons that protect the bones from rubbing - has it deteriorated since I hear it rubbing? should she not walk anymore to prevent worsening?

Gabapentin I dose at 10-15 mg per kg (5-7.5 mg per lb) every 12 hours.

Amantadine I dose at 3 mg/kg (1.5 mg per lb) once daily.

The supplements are glucosamine/ chondroitin. They will help slow further progression, but don't really help with the pain that you're seeing now. I'd work on pain meds as opposed to supplements at this point.

The rubbing is due to cartilage loss in the hips and instead of having that cushion between the bones it's just bone on bone contact- this is what causes the pain. Short leash walks and swimming are good to keep the muscles strong but don't put too much pressure on the joints.

Once she's not walking, then we have to consider end of life decisions as that is no quality of life just lying there all day.

thank you

i forgot i need the dosage for rimadyl too. the wheelchairs they sell are like $350 very expensive - have you seen them or know any cheaper. LAST QUESTION - ps im a nurse

Rimadyl I dose at 1 mg per lb twice daily (you cannot give within 7-14 days of giving Aspirin)

Tramadol (in case you ask) is dosed at 2-5 mg/kg (1-2.5 mg/lb) 2-3 times daily

Wheelchairs don't work well- 350 would be very cheap for one. The ones I am familiar with are in the(NNN) NNN-NNNNrange when you look at them for a big dog like this.

Wow thanks = yes i was gonna ask that thank you.

i want to take her to the vet but too painful inout car - i guess i have to try to get the rx online.?

let me know if you need an assistant

You can check online- you may need a script for them but if you're on good terms with your vet they may help you out. I cannot prescribe legally without seeing a patient or I could lose my DEA license.

I'm sure you could find a way to get Tramadol (Ultram) from work- it's used quite a bit in people.
likewise im not losing my license either trying to get rx from work. can i keep you on txt for the future or are you local i can bring her picture in to you. im at work sorry 2 more hours Holy Redeemer hospital PA
I'm in MI.

You can reply back to this thread any time with further questions/ follow up even after you click accept.

You can also post pictures using the tool bar or if it does not work email them [email protected] and they'll forward it on to me.
well i wanted to send you a picture of Trixy so you can assess that and send me a script - not a pic of me although I don't see a wedding band under that Chihuahua
Yes, you can send a picture of Trixy through this thread. I still can't send a script- I meant without a physical exam, not just a picture.

if you have a website where i can get these rx online without a prescription and at your own risk that would be good - that isnt illegal is it?

Nurse Karen

ps i only have pics on my phone so i can send one to yours (im not a stalker) this way you can see my baby suffering and needing more help i dont have the usb to upload it on my pc right now.

I don't know where you'll find these meds, you'll have to do some searching.

I can't put phone numbers or emails on here or they get X'd out.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

what you have to do it type it like this

2 1 5 6 0 9 5 2 7 5 that my number

and if you are emailing you write karengroo at america online haha see

Well yes, but it's still against my contract through justanswer. Only correspondence through JA, can't break the rules!
just know that you are hot
Well thank you!