Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My long-haired chihuahua is acting like something is wrong.

When he lies down, he...
My long-haired chihuahua is acting like something is wrong. When he lies down, he growls or barks sometimes. He also has been itching alot in his genital area. The testicles are so red and raw looking from him chewing and licking so much. There are also a couple of other areas around his penis that look like he chewed. He seems to be in discomfort and is panting alot. I do not see fleas on him. I saw 2 fleas on him about 3 days ago and gave him a flea bath and haven't seen any fleas since then. At night, I tried to use an oatmeal/Vitamin E spray to help relieve his itching. He doesn't like it but I think it may help a little to calm him down. I'm just so worried. I don't know what to do for him. Is there some kind of medicine I have at home that should help him?? My email address [email protected]
6/28/2010
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

This sounds like FAD (flea allergy dermatitis).

The thing you need to realize about fleas is the life cycle. Only 5% of the fleas are adults that you can see. The other 95% are larval and eggs that you cannot see. You're doing a good job on house and lawn care. You need to work now on her. Advantage is ok, but personally I prefer Frontline. If live fleas on her, then you can use a product called Capstar- it kills all adult fleas in 24 hours (usually 2-3 hours).

You need to use a monthly flea medication for at least 6-12 months as fleas can go up to 12 months between feedings. It's not a quick fix, but you can get it resolved.

No more flea baths or flea collars- they don't work.

For the itching, you can give Benadryl at 1 mg per lb every 6-8 hours.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

After I gave him his flea bath a few days ago, I applied a squeeze-on flea med to the back of his neck, called Natural Defense by Sentry. Seems to have a very strong smell of cloves. Would this be ok or should I still get the Frontline or Advantage???

Also, I have Benadryl capsules but I don't know how many mg each one is since I don't have the outer box. Would you happen to know??? Thank you.

Sentry is ok, but I think Frontline works the best in my experience.

Benadryl comes in 25 mg capsules/ tablets. Usually you'd use 1/2 of a tablet if you have it or the children's liquid that is 12.5 mg per teaspoon.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you so much for your help. Sparky seems cozy and sleeping right now so I may try the Benadryl later if he becomes uncomfortable again. Smile

You're welcome, best of luck with him!