Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a four day old puppy who is constantly screaming. She…

Customer Question
I have a four day...
I have a four day old puppy who is constantly screaming. She will not latch onto the teet so I Have tried to bottle feed her. Nothing is helping. She is screaming and going all over the whleping box.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there

This baby needs to be examined-as there could be a medical reason for this behavior(like a cleft palate). If she will not nurse from mom, you are going to have to bottle feed every 2 hours. The sooner she is seen by a vet the better. Dr. Jenn

I realize she needs to be seen but it is a Sunday night and the nearest emergency vet is over 2 hrs away. The puppy was seen by the vet on Thuyrsday and there was no indication that she had anything wrong. She was examined and had her tail docked. I need to know if there is anything specific I can do to help this pup and make her stop screaming. I am just praying at this point that she makes it till morning.
She may be constipated-you can try patting her rectal area with a warm tissue. If that does not help a vet may have to give the baby an enema. At this point it would be worth driving the 2 hours-she could also be having pain from the tail docking!