Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

does vinegar and ajax dish soap to kill weeds hurt dogs

Customer Question
does vinegar and ajax dish...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

Did you see the dog ingest the mixture?

If so, how much?

no but we have four dogs a 10 year old maltees ,he's fine a ten year old german sherpard she

's fine but the germansherpard puppy and the 10 month old pitbull both sick she will eat a little i put the vinegar mixture down thursday night both sick

The soap and the vinegar can cause stomach upset but are not toxic. They would have to ingest quick a bit to get sick. If water is not staying down, the problem is very serious. They will get dehydrated quickly. The only things to try at home are Pepcid AC or Prilosec OTC at 5 mg per 20 pounds body weight every 24 hours to settle the stomach and Pepto Bismal at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds body weight every 8 hours as needed to coat the stomach. If the medicine does not stay down or the vomiting persists, the abdomen should be radiographed to rule out an obstruction and blood tests will likely be needed as well.
vvxzzc/rt
Your last response did not come through.
how do you know if they are dehydrated ? should she go to the vet tomarrow
Dehydration causes the gums to become pale and dry. If you pull the skin on the neck up it should bounce right back. If it slowly goes back into place, the dog is very dehydrated. If she can't keep water down and oral medication does not fix the problem, she should definitely be examined tomorrow.