Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

German shepherd: has elbow dysplasia

Customer Question
My Daughter's German Shephard has...
My Daughter's German Shephard has elbow dysplasia. What types of nutritional and exercise changes should be made to accomodate this problem and lessen the symptions?
Also, it seems that the surgery might be effective in helping the puppy; can you recommend a vet in San Diego who might do this surgery? Also, what is the chance of the surgery being successful?
Please advise.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 8 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

With regard to elbow dysplasia, there are usually two different types of growth disorders that can be present: ununited anconeal or fragmented coronoid process (here is an info website: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2537 ). The only way to determine which is present is radiographs and/or CT scan which may have already been done (and you may know the type of dysplasia present). The treatment is slightly different for each of these problems.

Nutritional supplements: The best to start would be a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement to help delay the onset of arthritis.

Exercise: Let Maddox dictate how much exercise he wants to do prior to surgery for treatment. Pain relief may be needed to even inspire him to want to exercise. You're not going to hurt him by walking short distances but no long-distance runs for him right now. I'm not sure bed rest is going to make any difference if he has one of these growth disturbances. Most that I've seen will remain lame non-stop until surgery is performed. And then there is a recovery period of at least 2 weeks after surgery before lameness resolves.

Treatment? The absolute best treatment for either problem is surgery. This is a referral surgery that needs to be done by a specialist and your regular veterinarian can refer you to a good orthopedic surgeon. I know there are several referral practices in the SAn Diego area but I'm not able to make knowledgeable recommendations about any; you need to ask Maddox's regular vet about this. Back to treatment, for fragmented coronoid this is often done by arthroscopy to remove the fragment. The prognosis is excellent. But often dogs who have one elbow affected, the other one is also a problem and really should be evaluated.

The other problem, ununited anconeal, usually requires surgery, often arthroscopically, to fix and the prognosis is good afterwards.

As a side note, if the radiographs that were taken were not reviewed by a board certified radiologist I'd request this. This confirms which type of problem is present and can screen him for panosteitis which is another growth disturbance common in German Shepherds. And I've seen a few patients that have BOTH elbow dysplasia and panosteitis. Panosteitis is very painful but he will outgrow it; pain relief is crucial.

Best of luck.

Edited by DR. Z on 6/27/2010 at 5:29 PM EST