Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

poodle: is chewing hair..bald and bleeding

Customer Question
my poodle is chewing hair...
my poodle is chewing hair off till bald and bleeding is a very old dog what can i do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Scott, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Hello there,

Oral Benadryl can be used at 1/2-1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed for the itch. Any sores need to be cleaned with betadine solution or hydrogen peroxide, rinsed, dried and covered with Neosporin or bacitracin twice a day until healed.
WE HAVE ANOTHER DOG IS THIS CONTAGIOUS SHOULD HE BE LEFT SEPARATE FROM ALL
The only contagious skin problem is mange mites. He would have to get them from another animal that has mange. If he hasn't been around other animals, there is no need to isolate him.
IS THERE AWAY TO TELL IF IT IS MITES? WHEN I LOOK AT IT IT LOOKS LIKE HIS HAIR IS SEPARTING FROM HIS SKIN AND DO I NEED TO COVER MY HANDS WHEN CLEANING
The mites are microscopic. They can only been seen under a microscope after a skin scrape is done. If the hair easily pulls out there could be a secondary bacterial or fungal infection or an underlying thyroid problem. If an allergy is causing the chewing, Benadryl will help in mild cases. I would where gloves just to be safe.
ARE THERE CERTAIN SIGNS FOR THYROID PROBLEMS? AND IS IT OK FOR HIM TO PLAY IN HIS WATER POOL TO KEEP HM COOL?
Low thyroid levels lead to lethargy, skin problems, ear problems and unexplained weight gain in most cases. Blood tests are needed to diagnose it. The pool should not be a problem.