Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dachshund: past two days..throws..alert, responsive and playful…

Customer Question
my 9 yo Dachshund for...
my 9 yo Dachshund for the past two days has been having difficulties digesting her food. She makes it into the digestive process about 7 hours without incident then throws up her food. Otherwise she is alert, responsive and playful. This happened about 2 months ago and the vet took an xray and kept her overnight. She has a lot of fecal matter that appeared to be blocked up as the food enters the intentine area so she was Hills I/D prescription diet and she did exceedingly well, more energy, etc. Could there be a breed issue here, tumor/mass issue, or digestive issue that can be corrected?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2010
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

There are various issues that can cause a dog to vomit as you describe, but her breed is most likely not related to it. Vomiting is a vague sign that can be associated with simple things like dietary indiscretion or sensitivity to more serious things like intestinal obstruction or metabolic disorders involving other organs like the pancreas or the liver. There can even be mechanical problems that stem from a slowed emptying of the stomach. In many cases, a easily digestible food like i/d may improve the symptoms and in some cases is used long term for control. All of the above conditions can present with the same signs so it is sometimes hard to know how aggressive to be in diagnosing and treating them. We rely partly on how they are acting, how severe the symptoms and how long it has been going on.

A typical workup for the symptoms you describe include xrays as she already had. Sometimes specialized xray studies with barium are utilized to evaluate motility or the lining of the GI tract. Bloodwork should also be performed to evaluate other internal organ function that may be contributing to the symptoms. An ultrasound is often recommended as well and all of these tests separately add different bits of information to putting it all together. Ultimately, it often ends up that a GI scoping is needed to better visualize things and samples can be taken of the stomach or gut via endoscope or surgery. This give the most complete picture as to what is going on, but obviously is the most aggressive. That is why the other tests are often performed first so that possibly we can get to a tentative diagnosis easier.

It is good that she continues to feel good and maintain an appetite. I would start with having your vet re-examine her and see if there are any changes noted in her physical exam since the last time it happened. After that, they can better decide what is the next most appropriate step to take to better identify the problem.

Since she is keeping most of her food and water down, you could try to give her a dose of the over the counter medication Pepcid AC (famotidine), 0.5 mg per pound of body weight once daily. For her size you can give 1/4 of a 20 mg tablet once daily. It might be most useful to give before bed since that seems to be her problem time.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.