Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

my border terrier has had bad diarrhoea for the past three…

Customer Question
my border terrier has had...
my border terrier has had bad diarrhoea for the past three days it is very watery and black in colour there also seems to be blood in it, he seems in good humour and we have not fed him for 48 hours, except water we live on a rural Island and the vet does not work at weekends, anything I can do for my dog.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/27/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello. Not ideal situation. I will wait for you to reply so I know you are there and we can discuss.

Customer:

hi what do you think I should do

Dr. Andy :

hello

Dr. Andy :

A few things to comment and suggest. Bare with me here while I type

Dr. Andy :

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new dog food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.

- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease or failure (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

Acute Diarrhea

Chronic Diarrhea

Dr. Andy :

Especially, if he is not vomiting, you need to get food in to him. If he refuses to eat, here is a bland diet but rather yummy alternative diet:

Dr. Andy :

Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast

Cooked white rice

Low-fat cottage cheese

*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above

*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

*Sometimes, you will see cooking hamburger meat being recommended and taking off the fat. I try to avoid this option as it can exacerbate pets that may have pancreatitis. Chicken works great.

Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets like Science Diet I/D or Iams Low-residue. Both are wonderful options.

Dr. Andy :

Now, to help the stomach and intestines a bit, I would give an antacid product. For Seamus, Pepto will actually be the best since it can help with diarrhea:

Dr. Andy :

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Pepcid

.

Prilosec

.

Zantac

.

Pepto-Bismol (NOT TO BE USED IN CATS)

Dr. Andy :

Not all of these. Just one. Pepto preferrably.

Dr. Andy :

Get into vet ASAP for some basic testing and better medications.

Dr. Andy :

I hope that helps. Good Luck. Dr. Andy

Dr. Andy :

May I be of any further assistance?