Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 year old miniature dachshund has a spinal injury that…

Customer Question
My 10 year old miniature...
My 10 year old miniature dachshund has a spinal injury that occurred last night but was not from jumping off of anything. It seems as though he wrenched his back while playing with a stuffed animal. I feel like the vets are trying to rush surgery, but as a human with spinal issues I feel that there must be alternative treatments. I know that I have tried many treatments which have improved my mobility without resorting to surgery. He is still able to wag his tail and his left side seems to be stronger than his right. He has pain reaction in both feet. Are there any viable effective alternative treatments?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Is he able to walk?

2- Is he able to stand?

He can stand for just a few moments. He is not walking well. We have limited his mobility to decrease any chance of additional injury.

Your dog may have a prolapse disc that is interfering with the spinal cord function. Therefore, exhibiting difficulty walking. These cases time is of essence, the longer the spinal cord has a compression (prolapse disc), the worst the prognosis for the patient to regain complete function. Other than surgery, the use of corticosteroids can provide some relief and depending on the degree of compression may or may not help to regain function of the limbs. If your veterinarian are treating with corticosteroids and there has not been significant improvement in 24 hours, then surgery should be considered. Surgery and corticosteroids are the only options in these cases.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Thank you for the informaiton. There is improvement this morning. He snuck out of his area in the middle of the night and had a bowel movement in another room and was back in his bed when I woke up. I carried him outside this morning to potty and he stood on all fours for a few moments. Our vet is meeting us today for another steroid injection. I am preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. Thank you again.
That is great, then he is responding to medical therapy (steroids), now you just need to continue and remember, though he is better he has a lesion in his vertebral column. When you carry him make certain to support his back, no jumping. Good Luck!!!