Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

i believe my puppy has a ruptured hernia...is this possible,

Customer Question
and what are the symptoms??...
i believe my puppy has a ruptured hernia...is this possible, and what are the symptoms??? Pls I live in a remote town
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Matt_DVM, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Matt_DVM
Matt_DVM, Dog Veterinarian
Where is the lesion?

When did you first notice it?

What is the dog doing?

Why was the dog catheterized?

IS the dog eating, drinking and urinating?
he is catherized because he is dehydrated, and not eating drinking. he had been vomiting, and mucusy diarreah
So he is in the hospital now?

Where is the hernia located?
hernia is located in his navel area
yes he is hospitalized now hernia is located in nave area
The symptoms of a ruptured hernia are those that would be seen with a septic abdomen. This is where a piece of bowel gets entrapped in the hernia and begins to swell with gas and eventually rupture. The hernia grows large and becomes extremely painful.

An ultrasound of the hernia and abdomen should rule this out or in.

If the hernia site is normal then I would look for other causes of vomiting and diarrhea including a foreign material trapped in the bowel. Parasites may be another possibility.

most hernias in the umbilicus are small and do not entrap bowel, but without visualizing the lesion and feeling it is hard to say. but an ultrasound probe, or sometimes an x-ray can reveal if this is the problem.
Matt_DVM
Matt_DVM, Dog Veterinarian

the local vet here said that bruno has a low temp, high phosphorus in his blood. she also said that his kidneys, and liver were fine. she also said he had irrigular heartbeat, and no sighns of contaminated poo.

High phosphorus is normal in young puppies.

irregular heart beat? --- I would have to know exactly what this means by the vet to interpret this.

Low temp can be seen with shock.....

did she ultrasound the hernia area?