Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

yorkie mix: old shitzu..that I rescued over three weeks ago…

I have an approx. 5...
I have an approx. 5 yr. old shitzu/yorkie mix that I rescued over three weeks ago. When I found him on the street, his eye was popped out and was extremely infected, although he otherwise seemed in good spirits and had a lot of energy. I immediately took him to get his eye removed. Since bringing home from the surgery (two weeks ago), he has been having what seem like complex partial seizures - out of nowhere, he starts yelping as if he is in pain, drops to the floor and curls up into a little ball. He often trembles during and after these episodes for quite some time. He has also been extremely lethargic, and wants to be left alone. He spends most of the day trying to hide under the bed. I took him to get a CT scan which revealed some small possible abnormalities on his brain which the emergency vet suspected could be meningitis, but was not sure. He used to eat normally, but it seems his appetite has been decreasing more and more over the last 2 days. What could be wrong?
6/27/2010
Matt_DVM
Matt_DVM, Dog Veterinarian
Was bloodwork normal?

Does he have a fever?

Was the dog put on antibiotics? (which ones?)

Is the dog eating and drinking?
Yes, blood work was normal.
He was put on Clavamox for two weeks after the surgery.
He was eating regularly until yesterday.
Now we have noticed that his appetite has decreased significantly.
Still drinking regularly.
fever?
no fever has been detected.
Was the CT scan read by a radiologist?
Yes - read by a radiologist. I forgot to add, that when he has these (seeming) Complex Partial Seizures, he also sometimes has these little sneezing fits.

Well I have never heard of a meningitis that is caused by an enucleation, but it is possible.

The next step is to tap the spinal fluid from the dog for analysis and culture. If this was out of the question then I would be aggressive with antibiotics and steroids. If this radiologist suspects meningitis the prognosis is guarded even with aggressive therapy, but I would start it sooner rather than later, as these dogs can progress rapidly.
Do you suspect it could be anything else?
most seizures in a dog of that age are idiopathic(meaning they do not have a known cause). For those dogs I put them on anti-seizure medication and they do quite well.....

most of my clients can afford a CT or MRI and so this doesn't often get done. And if the seizures are frequent or violent enough I will put them on phenobarb to stop the seizure activity.....

This may be what is going on in your case ....but I would have your vet speak with this radiologist and come up with a diagnostic plan to rule out a meningitis.
Matt_DVM
Matt_DVM, Dog Veterinarian
OK. Thank you Matt . . . I was skeptical about the meningitis, but I am glad you confirmed the possibility. Thank you.
I meant to say most of my clients cannot afford to do a CT ....so you are doing very well for your little pup ...and I hope he does well......

a CSF tap will definitely rule in or out the meningitis possibility...