Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

portuguese water dog: kennel..appetite..lethargic..my vet on wednesday…

Customer Question
Hi Doctor, I have...
Hi Doctor, I have a portuguese water dog and I picked him up from the kennel the other day, he was there for 8 days. After one day of having him home, he has lost his appetite, appears very lethargic, disoriented at times. I took him to my vet on wednesday. They discovered he temp of 103.6 & found he had hookworms. They put him on metronidazole 250 mg, one tablet - twice a day. They also gave me the monthly preventive heart guard plus. His temp came down some before taking him home. Thursday he appeared to be a little more normal and did eat. Had a follow up appt on friday morn (yesterday). Before taking him to the appointment, I noticed his symptoms to be the same as on Wed. wouldn't eat, weak & somewhat disoriented. I took him in and had an extensive blood tests taken on him, the results were (if I remember correctly) the liver was elevated slightly, and two of the tests (don't remember the names) but had to do with his immune system, were slightly elevated. My vet said it could have to do with an high infestation of the hook worm and gave him some oral yellowish liquid. He wants to see him again midweek.
Last night he was somewhat irritable & lethargic, however; in between he wanted to play a little. He was on my bed and I was trying to play with him with his stuffed toy. At one point he growled a little (like he didn't want to be bothered) very normal of him when he is 100% healthy. I went to put my hand on his side and had my face close to him saying, oh you don't feel good... and he aggressively snapped at me -in my face. Luckily, I moved quickly and he just brushed my face. It scared me and it is very abnormal for him to do something like this. Now today again, he will not eat, very lethargic and somewhat disoriented at times. What is your opinion on this? Is there anything else I can do? I hate to see him in this way. Please Help. Thank you, Kathy
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/26/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Elaine. A few questions:

You stated the growling is normal when he's feeling well?

How old is he?

Did you actually just "get him" (for the first time) 8 days ago or was he boarding?

Do you know if the liquid they gave was strongid? (pyrantel)

Thanks

Yes, growling is normal. Example: he sleeps on the end of the bed, if your foot nudges him, or you pull the blanket and it disturbs him, he gives a moderate growl to let you know he doesn't want to be disturbed. He only does it when you disturb him sleeping- no other time.

He is 4 years old. he weighs approx. 54#

I've had him since a puppy. He was just boarding.

Yes, It reads - strongid-T > 25# XXXXX the receipt

and thank you

Hookworms are particularly troublesome in puppies where they can cause severe anemia and intestinal inflammation.

In a significant hookworm infection, even in adult dogs, anemia can occur but it sounds like this is not Bogie's case at this time.

The intestinal inflammation is likely uncomfortable, although his reaction to you is obviously quite worrisome, as here is a relatively young adult male dog (neutered?) that is now becoming progressively aggressive--i.e. he is exerting what he perceives as his dominant position in the "pack." Never a good situation, for obvious/potentially dangerous reasons.

Re: his illness: Many times puppies (and at times adults) infected with hookworm require in-patient fluid therapy +/- antibiotics to combat any secondary infection, anti-nausea drugs--all this to get them through the "crisis" that can come with a significant infection with hookworm.

Re: hi behavior: I strongly recommend intense obedience (start at whatever his 'beginning' needs to be) training, preferably with the guidance of a professional experienced in these issues and one you are comfortable with. Pet place.com ( http://www.petplace.com/dog-training.aspx) is a resource for further behavioral advice.

See your vet for a recheck asap, emergency visit is symptoms worsen.

Let me know if I may help further.

Kindly, Dr. Elaine