Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

Yellow Labrador was treated on June 7th and a compreehensive

Customer Question

Yellow Labrador was treated on June 7th and a compreehensive dianostic test performed. The ALP was 821 and the AMY was 2162. She was treated with Amoxi 250mg twice daily. And now is lethgaric, not eating and will hardly move.

Liver disease or pancreatic disease is possible with these tests performed?

I don't want to take her back to the same vet. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer.

Yes the ALT level represents significant liver damage and the AMY (amylase) represents the pancreatic damage.

These both may be seen withpancreatitis -- which in a 5 year old dog would be a common disease (usually triggered by eating something unusual or fatty).

Other causes on the list for a five year old dog to have these levels woudl include:

Infection (leptospirosis, hepatitis), toxin exposure.

It is important to follow up these levels -- and retest if yoru dog is still ill or recoevered -- then this reappeared.

If recovery occured --- and this is a reoccurance -- then another incidence of eating something unusual may have occured to trigger the pancreatic issue again. Pancreatitis can be in a chronic form and appear like this.

If it has been ongoing and no response to medications, then an infection may be the cause and further testing is necessary to determine if the body is recovering, statying stable, or getting worse....and what mey be the cause.

If you do not want to return to the previous vet, then make a few phone calls to friends, neighbors, local shelter or others to get a recommnedation for soemone you may like better. This is definitely a situation that will need veterinary followup and monitoring if you would like for your dog to have an optimum chance of getting better.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian