Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5 and a half year old neutered male Alaskan Malamute.

Customer Question
He was diagnosed with Hypothyrioidism...
I have a 5 and a half year old neutered male Alaskan Malamute. He was diagnosed with Hypothyrioidism 3 weeks ago and was put on Soloxine 0.5mg. He has lost 2kg since then, but seemed in good health. Monday this week he started panting more than usual, but we put it down to being a hot day. Tuesday he was still panting and became restless, then at 5PM he vomited his undigested dinner from the day before, he had not eaten since the day before. We took him to the vet, his temp was 39 and they suspected Pancrestitis. They took bloods and he came home to be seen the next day. Overnight he continued to pant and be restless. He went in at 8.30 the next day where they though it may be obstruction, he had no vomiting and did not have his bowels open. He had more bloods was put on a drip, temp still 39. He was put out and an Xray done, result was ' gass in intestine and poss FB looking mass, but not very conclusive. Intestine also appeared thickened'. Vet said they would prefer not to operate and see how he goes.
He stayed at the vet a further 2 days and came home yesterday. They said he was still tender but better. He did not eat at all untill yesterday, he has kept that down and had a few small meals since then. No vomiting (except once on Tuesday) and no diarrhea, in fact no bowels open at all since Monday AM (normal stool).
Since coming home he is still panting and crying, he seems ok in himself and does tend to cry a lot after an aneasthetic anyway.
What I am wondering is if he could have an ulcer? Or perhaps he could have FB in his stomach but with no vomiting? What could the 'thickening and FB looking mass be'? If it were gastritis surely it wouldn't look like a 'mass'.
He will be going to the vet if he continues to pant/cry, but a different vet this time for a second opinion.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks, Carly.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2010
Dog Veterinarian: YourPetVet, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian

Hello, My suggestion would be to visit that second vet for another opinion, soon. With any foreign body there is concern that it might penetrate and rupture the intestines or stomach. Plus, surgery is a lot easier and recovery faster if the patient is in fair health and hydrated. Your pet may need a day or so of hospital care before any surgery is done. Also, talk to your vet about a possible Barium study if there is still question about the foreign body as this may highlight what is in there. Thank you for your question.

J Bache, DVM

Thanks so much for your reply.
What about the fact he is eating and not vomiting and has a normal apetite? As I said he seems ok in himself, just the panting, and a little down but that could be the aneasthetic. I don't want to put him through an operation if it's not needed.
Surely he would vomit with a FB, but he was just sick once. Thats why I thought perhaps he had an ulcer that looked like thickening of the stomach.

Hello, dogs can eat and still have a foreign body. I have seen a dog with a corncob in its intestines for 3 weeks. Also, persuing a Barium study may be helpul in two ways: one to confirm or deny a foreign body and two Barium can be theraputic. That if he is down and out from inflammed, thickened or sore intestines the Barium may ease that distress.

J Bache, DVM

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX ask the vet about that. I expect he will need an aneastetic for that too Undecided

Your welcome. Barium has a strawberry flavor to it. He may just drink it out of a bowl.

J Bache, DVM

Ok. I was really hoping it was just gastritis, but after seeing the Xray report and him still panting I think he should have further investigations. He's sleeping at the minute, so I'll let hom rest for now.

See how things go for the rest of the weekend and if he is still uncomfortable by Monday then pursue further treatment. For now be sure that he drinks water, does not vomit, and try to keep his diet basic (dog food, or bland diet like cooked plain rice or noodles mixed with white meat chicken, no skin, no bones). If he does poorly before Monday then seek emergency veterinary care in your area.

J Bache, DVM

He is drinking ok and on a diet of cooked plain chicken (he would usually have raw). Thanks again, this has been very helpful and answered my quires for me. Smile

Your welcome. We are here to help. Thank you.

J Bache, DVM

<p class="text-15-black">He went back to the vet yesterday AM, his bloods indicate Pancreatitis again. He is having another Xray today and is on pain killers and fluids.</p><p class="text-15-black">How is Pancreatitis treated? And how long should a dog be starved for? (Average cases)</p><p class="text-15-black"><span class="text-15-black">Bowels still not open. If the Xray</span> is clear they want to send him home today on meds as he is quite distressed with them.</p>

Hello. Pancreatitis is basically treated with fluids, fluids and more fluids and time. I usually tell people that the length of time it takes for a dog to get better is the same as the number of days they have been sick. Dogs can go quite a long time without eating, upwards a week or so WITHOUT treatment. Any hospital care should benefit him as well. Most dogs are not out of the woods when they go home. A slow methodical approach must be made toward treatment with any meds he goes home on and bland diet when his stomach is ready. Take your time and take it day by day. Any decreasing or worsening of his signs should signal the need for hospital care.

J Bache, DVM

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
He is home on Tramadol 3 x50mg tablets twice a day, Zantac syrup and antibiotics. Also back on his Soloxine. He is drinking very well and having tiny meals of a bland prescription diet.
He seems much happier in himself, the vet has said he will still be uncomfortable but the pain killers are strong. They would have liked him to stay in a bit longer but felt as he was so distressed it was doing more harm than good and we (my mum and two sisters being hospital nurses) would be well able to home nurse him.
If I notice any changes they are avaliable 24/7 at the end of the phone for advice. He had 2 bags of fluid with them, and is drinking well with no vomiting so hopefully thats ok.
We are taking it slow with his meals, and just giving him tiny amounts each time. I am in contact with a fellow malamute owner whos dog also suffers with Pancreatitis so is making me aware of things to look out for. He'll go back for a blood test in 2 weeks to check his Pancreaus, and his Thyroid.
Thanks for your help, and hopfully he will just get better and better now.
Carly.

Excellent. Sounds like things are under way and under control. Continue to take it day by day. All the best

J Bache, DVM