Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

maltese: my 15 year..15 year old..yelping and it looked..lying down…

my 15 year old maltese...
my 15 year old maltese just starting yelping and it looked like her shoulder was in a cramp - actually she was lying down and her whole body seemed contorted. First I thought she was having a stroke, but it passed in a matter of seconds. She just took some water and is moving just fine now... any ideas
6/26/2010
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

It sounds like she has a shoulder luxation. Basically she popped her shoulder out of the socket and then popped it back in on her own. When it's out, it's painful and she would not be able to bear weight on the limb. Once back in, these guys will walk around like nothing ever happened.

So what to do now? Typically we don't do anything. If it becomes a recurrent problem there is a surgery to correct it but most dogs don't need any therapy.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Hi Dr. Gary, she has been so restless since it happened -- is that par for the course?
She may be a a little sore. Try to keep her quiet tonight and she should be back to herself by morning.

If she gets worse through the night, then no that's not normal and I'd get her looked at.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
thanks - she sleeps right next to me, so I will be sure to keep an eye on her - thanks again and have a good night
You're welcome, I'll be on for a few hours through the night so if you run into any other problems feel free to reply back.