Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

hello i have a 16 week old pitbull pup that is starting to…

Customer Question
hello i have a 16...
hello i have a 16 week old pitbull pup that is starting to loose hair around one of her eyes it may look a little dry underneath but it doesn't appear to be to irritated how should this be treated?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/26/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

What you are seeing could be either infectious disease like ringworm, or skin parasites like demodex. She needs to go see your vet for a couple simple skin tests, like skin scraping, fungal culture, and skin cytology. Of all the different things, demodex is most likely. But it requires a quick and inexpensive test to tell for sure. Then, the proper medication can be prescribed. Without seeing your vet, there is no way for you to properly address this problem and it will only get worse. There is no over the counter medication to treat this problem.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.