Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

dogs: approximately 6 years old..are normally very active and playful.

Customer Question
I am currently on vacation...
I am currently on vacation visiting my mother, and she went out of town for a few days and left her dogs in my care. She has 2 two toy poodles that are approximately 6 years old. Both are normally very active and playful. However, over the last few days, the more active of the two has become very inactive. She refuses to jump down off of the couch/bed/our laps, and more often then not also refuses to climb up. Occasionally she will whine or whimper. My mom found a few lumps on her head just before she left yesterday (mostly around her left ear but there were one or two on the top of her head), that when squeezed produced a reddish-orange center that she said had almost a shell on the outside but were soft on the inside. The dog better last night, but today she is worse then ever, and is shaking a lot.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/26/2010
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

The lumps that you describe sound like she may have a skin infection. Most of the time, other than itching, it does not make them too uncomfortable. Another possibility is a sebaceous cyst which is even more benign and don't usually cause any symptoms.

It is possible that her symptoms have nothing to do with the lumps on her head, in which case, from what you describe, I would be most suspicious of pain in her back or hindquarters. Shaking can often be a sign of pain and the refusing to jump up or down on things supports that.

The question is should she be seen tonight or can it wait until tomorrow. It depends on how uncomfortable you think she is. A few other things you can check would be to take her temperature rectally. A normal temperature in a dog is between 99.5 and 102.5°F.

Also check her gums to make sure they are nice and pink and the color returns quickly after you press on them. If any of those things seem abnormal, or if she just can't get comfortable, you may want to take her to an emergency clinic if there is one available. A veterinarian should be better able to localize and identify the source of her problem after a thorough physical exam.

I would not recommend giving any over the counter medication to her as most are not very effective and may limit the choices that your veterinarian can use if she needs to be medicated later. Limit her activity tonight to leash only outside. No running or jumping.

If there are still bumps on her head, cleanse them. If you have an antibacterial soap, that would be best, XXXXX XXXXX not just pet shampoo. After cleansing, apply a topical antibacterial ointment like Neosporin. If she is still not herself tomorrow, I would definitely have her evaluated.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.