Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 70 lbs. sniffer named Rocky who is a four year old…

I have a 70 lbs...
I have a 70 lbs. sniffer named Rocky who is a four year old Pure Breed American German Shepherd. This is day two of him coughing and then hacking up a small amount of clear liquid that might fill up a shot glass each time he does this. I have a feeling that he is having a Hawaiian summer cold but don't know for sure what he is going through. He is currently doing this a couple times an hour but is still eating good. What could this be?
6/25/2010
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and welcome to justanswer!

If Rocky, the sniffer, is otherwise healthy and eating well, this is most likely a Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat.

This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give your dog 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of your dog's weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so Rocky is more comfortable.

It is best to have your vet examine Rocky to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/infectious-tracheobronchitis-kennel-cough/page1.aspx

Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

Good luck!

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

On Tuesday, Rocky played with another local dog named Buster for the very first time and both were running around the beach for about an hour and that was his only contact with another dog over the past week.

I little bit about Rocky and me, Rocky is medical alert dog who has saved my life 5 times and my son once from a coyote attack involving two coyotes at the same time. I am a combat US Marine who now lives with rods,pins and screws in my arms and legs and I truely am the Six Million Dollar Man. Rocky assists me by pulling me around with his harness and his ability to tell when I need to go to the hospital even when I can't tell. We sold everything we pretty much owned,packed our suitcases and moved here to Oahu a few months ago.I have gone from 17 different medications to just down to 5 because of the very healthy air here with gives my body more O2 than I would of had in California.

So a thank you is all I have to offer right now and be proud that you have helped a Disabled American Veteran and that the only reason we are still here is because someone above thought that we were worth saving...

Yikes!!

That is so great that Rocky is such a great dog!! You have been through so much and I am sure having Rocky to help and be your companion is a big plus. Where were you in California?

I am proud to have helped a Disabled Veteran. We owe you so much!!!

Have a Great day!!

Aloha Dr. Loretta,

I have forward messages to you because I continue to get emails from this website to this day. This website is not properly set up for communications for after you recieve the answer the you are looking for. To answer your question, I moved here from Palm Springs after a 1 1/2 year quarentine for Hawaii's Instant Release Program that is done just as you step off the plane for Certified Service Dogs. Yes,it's a long time to wait but much better than watching your dog die within a couple of weeks if you do it here due to kennel conditions here and the locals never seem to do the shots here for their dogs that goes through the kennels here day in and day out.

Example, I made the mistake of letting Rocky play with a local dog for one hour and he became ill the very next day.Now,I don't let him come in contact with any of the local dogs here for that reason. This was an eye opener for us both.

A month ago, I had my sixth surgery on leg at Tripler Army Medical Center here in Honolulu and I couldn't let Rocky assist me for three weeks as he was trained, due to the extreme pain levels I was experiencing and I wasn't able to walk. It wasn't for his lack of trying though. He kept licking my cast on my leg,trying to heal me,lol.

There is something I have been wondering about German Shepherds in general though. Why do they eat grass and then throw it back up minutes later and are completely fine again? My guess is that they balance their stomach acids by doing this from the Clorifil from the sun hitting the grass or something like that. I could be wrong,of course.

Anyway,I don't think that I could survive on this island without Rocky's help due to the unlevel surfaces of this island and his keen memory. My wife doesn't trust me to go out anywhere without him and the fact that he carries my complete medical records with him. Right now,I'm looking for a waterproof collar to carry my medical records flashdrive that is somehow built into the collar. If you happen to run across something like that,please try to remember my request and forward the info to me if you happen to think about it.

Again,thank and mahalo XXXXX XXXXX of your help and this website too.

Todd Wilson-USMC

Oh mY, Todd!!

It is so good to hear from you and to hear that Rocky is doing well. I am sure you will heal quickly so Rocky can do his job as I know he loves to do.

Dogs in general will eat grass to regulate their system. Often is it due to a mild feeling of being nauseous and this allow him to vomit so he feels better. You will have to tolerate this since this is normal behavior.

Hang in there Todd!! We are all so proud of you and of course, Rocky too!!

Mahalo!! Have a Great day!!
Aloha Dr. Loretta,
I have to tell you that this website is a total nightmare. There has been questions over the last two years that I've wanted to ask you only and couldn't. Like how to combat ear mites and excessive ear wax in Rocky. We wanted to wish you Merry Christmas back after receiving well wishes from you. I wanted to let you know about Rocky's process over the past two years and simply couldn't due to poor website design.
I simply feel more comfortable with sticking to the same expert and having a way to answer back,sort of having a backlink to the same expert. I don't know if this message will get back to you or not,worth a try. The ear mite thing keeps reoccuring but not a problem at the moment. Must be bushes or something on our daily route that keeps causing this. I've thought about earmuffs for humans but really don't think that will work,lol.
Mahalo and 73! Todd WH6DWF
Hey Todd!! It is so great to hear from you and Rocky...I am surprised that you cannot contact me through the site. I really think you can request me but I am not sure how it is done...anyways, if you post a question and say Dr. Loretta only...they will leave it tilI get on....

I am always happy to help...this is the good way to do this by logging into the old question and Replying....

It is unusual for dogs to get ear mites often. Rocky is probably getting recurrent ear infections...if you do a preventative with Swimmer's Ear once or twice per week, this will prevent this since it dries out the ear so organisms cannot grow. This can be purchased over the counter at any pharmacy...even in Hawaii!! LOL!!!

have a Great Day, Todd...and Rocky too!! Great to hear from you!!!
Aloha Dr. Loretta,
Thank you for all of your well wishes and advice. I do something that vets only dream about, I am on the Hawaiian Monk Seal Emergency Response Team. I've taken classes at Sea Life Park for NOAA. I set up Federal Protection Zones or what we call SPZ zones to protect and monitor the Hawaiian Monk Seals and educate the general public.
I am also on the State of Hawaii E Team and set up emergency communications between local,state and federal agencies during emergencies such as earthquakes,hurricanes and tsunamis,which we've had two since we moved here.
I am a relay station based on my home location, heighth, number of radios and etc. I also relay information between Emergency Shelters,HHS and the Hawaii Red Cross. One of the items I handle is pets and service animals in these shelters. I have a class coming this June with HHS but what I really need is advance emergency first aid for dogs and cats so that I can tell shelter staff and managers how to handle a sick animal over the radio during a disaster event. Maybe you can recommand a book to me at [email protected] to read and learn. I have anticipate injured animals arriving at some of these shelters during an event. Maybe something that utilizes common items that are readily available perhaps? I do all of these things as a volunteer including the DEM,RACES,ARES and the Civil Defense.
Again,thank you for all of your help and please do keep in touch.
A big Mahalo and 73-Todd WH6DWF
Good Morning, Todd! That is so great what you are doing!! Keep up the great work. I cannot think of a book for this but look at this search result. There is good information that may help.....http://www.aspca.org/home/common/SearchResults.aspx?cx=009443921554899757786:1worw3u_szq&cof=FORID:10&ie=UTF-8&q=disaster%20response&sa=Search&;siteurl=http://aspca.org/

A Big Magalo back at ya, Todd and Rocky!!!