Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Akita: my 2 year..olive oil..skin exposed pink and a bir raw looking…

Hello, my 2 year old...
Hello, my 2 year old Akita started developing a dry scaley crusty skin
in the bridge of her nose, inside the upper 1/2 of the ears and very slightly around the eyes. I took her to the vet which wanted to do a biopsy for auto-immune possibilities that i cannot afford. there is no discharge and foir the las few days i have been keeping her nose and ears wiped with plain olive oil which removes the crusting and leaves the skin exposed pink and a bir raw looking. the ears are good, but i can see it reappears fairly rapidly.

shouldnt a skin condition visually give an indication of somethng to start a course of treatment?? Thank you!!!
6/25/2010
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Was she treated with any medications?

Hi Dr.

no. this was just this tuesday. no medications at all as i was debating the unaffordable biopsy.

1- Is she having problems with vision?

2- Is she itchy?

3- Any other symptoms besides the skin?

not seemingly any more than usual on being itchy, no other symptoms...

here are links to a couple of photos online that look virtuall identical to what she has but it goes futher up the bridge of the nose but with no apparent discharge or bleeding, yet

http://img232.imageshack.us/i/dsc07005.jpg/

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YQ6BNAJU7WE/Sio49cHlUGI/AAAAAAAAC2o/lTV3CTCS1J0/s320/Hunter+with+distemper+3+5-7-09.jpg

http://img158.imageshack.us/i/dsc07006.jpg/

Thank you for the picture. Your veterinarian is right to consider auto immune disease as a possible cause especially in such a young dog. Biopsy is the way to go, but, if you cannot afford a biopsy. Speak to your veterinarian about a trial of low dose prednisone, which is one of the most common medication used to treat auto immune disease and it is not expensive. In the meantime, apply topical Vitamin E on her nose and minimize sun exposure.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Thanks Doctor, but what is the crust?

is it scabies?

mange?

how does anotherwise healthy active strong dog aquire this skin problem with no signs of any weakness, loss of appetite or strength?

No scabies or mange usually have lesion along the coat, though both can affect the ears. In Scabies the dog will be extremely itchy, it is difficult to find the mite because it burrows into the skin, but through history and skin lesion it easily diagnosed. Demodex is easily diagnose with a skin scrapping. Now, in your dog's case, the nose looks more like the body is attacking itself and these patients do not show any symptoms until the disease is advance and depending on what auto immune disease. The nose appears as something like Lupus, UV (Uveodermatologic syndrome) or pemphigous which are all auto immune disease and in time they can progress and you start seeing more clinical symptoms. This is where the biopsy is key to help us identify the underlying problem. I know it is frustrating and confusing for you. But, a trial of Prednisone is the way to go without any biopsy or diagnostics.
ok thank you! so then youre saying if the prednisone (cream, pill liquid?) doent work than definitely opt for the biopsy?
Prednisone pill, you will need to get it from your veterinarian and it is not very expensive. Yes, go for the biopsy.
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
thanks Dr. you've been most helpful!
Your Welcome. Good Luck!!!