Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

pugs: month old..drank..bottle states if swolled drink water…

Customer Question
I have 5 3 month...
I have 5 3 month old pugs who I keep in my bathroom area (which is very large)...... I just got home and they got out of their living area and wow, they got underneath my cabinet, which of course have cleaning solutions. As I checked out the area, I saw one was leaking and I do believe they drank it.....They arent having any symtems now, as I immediately gave them water.....the directions on the bottle states if swolled drink water and call a doctor..... Again, I immediately gave them water but I dont know what else to do....I dont have the money to take them in to see a Vet this week as I get paid next week. If they become sick, whats the timeframe? Should they be sick immediately? What signs should I see if they become sick? Ive moved thier cage from the bathrooom area to right next to my bed; is that something I should do? Im really scared and I dont know what to do...I love each and every one,so what should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/25/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

What is the cleaning product that was leaking?
there were two bottles that they got into.... spic and span...... and awesome toilet bowl cleaner
Ok thanks,

Naughty puppies!

Good news- other than some mild GI upset, you shouldn't have too much to worry about here. These products are mainly irritants. A good way to know if they got into it and who you can check inside the mouth and on the tongues of these little guys. The products will cause irritation/ chemical burns on the gums and tongue. These will look like bright red painful patches. If you see these, then we would assume the same thing is going on in the stomach/ intestines. We ideally put them on pain meds, antibiotics and GI protectants.

A preventative measure you could take would involve:
1. Give each a little bit of milk to help neutralize any acid and some water to dilute it out.
2. Give each 1/4 of a Pepcid (Famotidine) every 12-24 hours for 3-5 days. This will help protect the GI tract.

If any vomiting or black tarry diarrhea, then get them seen for more aggressive therapy.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
This is wonderful!!!!! and I thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do have additional questions if you don't mind.... give them dog milk or regular milk? I keep a can handy for just in case situations..... And last question... if they are sick when should I see signs of problems....what if they dont vomit? does that mean they are okay and I dont need to pursue anything? oh this is the last question... can I use (spelling???? but I'll do my best) melkimagnisia.....also, as far as payment, I entered 18.00 but I would like to pay you more when I get paid on next Friday, how can I do that? (thats next Friday, not tomorrow) Oh, really this is the last question....they are whining can I pick them up and cuddle them?
I don't mind.

Regular milk- it is alkaline, so it can help neutralize some of the product that may be in the stomach as they're acidic.

If they're going to vomit from the irritation, it'll be within the first 2-4 hours. If they're going to vomit due to GI ulcers, it'll be 1-2 days later. So keep a close eye on them for 2-3 days to be safe. Most mild GI signs are self limiting in that they'll occur and resolve on their own over 24-48 hours.

If no signs over 2-3 days, then you're out of the woods. Honestly, you should be fine here no matter what. These products are so irritating when dogs lick them that they often don't get much further than the mouth. Pretty harmless despite all the label warnings.

Milk of Magnesia- not really going to help; we use it as a liver protectant in dogs. Not needed here.

The 18 deposit goes to the site, when you click accept that is when they compensate me. There is a chance for a bonus after- don't feel like you need to do that. I'm just happy to help.

Can you cuddle them- absolutely not! They're pugs, you start cuddling and next thing you know you have a snorting sneezing whirlwind in your face! Cuddle away.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

YOU ARE THE MAN!!! Laughing

Thank you Doctor.......

Take care

You're very welcome.

And of course if you have any issues, feel free to just come back to this thread and reply back. Follow ups are no extra charge.