Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

my labrador pup has diarrea what can I give him so that it…

Customer Question
my labrador pup has...
my labrador pup has diarrea what can I give him so that it stops, he is 2 months old, if there happens to blood in the stool what does this mean?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/25/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian

I would like to help but I need more information first.

How long has the diarrhea been going on for?

Is there any blood in it?

How is Sam acting otherwise? Happy, energetic, eating well, playful?

Has he had any vaccines yet?

Has he been to the vet to be dewormed yet?

Any vomiting?

How long has he been on the immodium for?

he has had the diarrhea for 2 days I think, they gave him to me on the streets 3 days ago, he doesn't have any blood in it, he is very happy, he eats alot and very playful, I have'nt taken him to the vet for his vaccines, no vomiting, and he has been on the immodium for the 2 days he's been here.

The most common causes for puppies to have diarrhea include parasites (worms), dietary (eating foods that upset the stomach), and infection (like parvovirus). Parvovirus is usually more serious, and puppies that have it are usually sick and need hospitalization.

In Sam's case, I would be willing to bet that he has worms. The history suggests that he was not born into a well cared for household.

I would encourage taking him to see a vet and to have a fecal examination to check for parasites. Your vet will deworm him appropriately, and will likely give him his first set of puppy vaccines (he should get them between 6-8 weeks of age).

I would also consider changing his diet to a bland diet for a week or so. Feed him Hill's i/d diet (you can get it at the vet's), or just boiled chicken/white rice for a few days.

Good luck and I hope this helps.