Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

dog: sweet..caring for Mystery elected to not take her to a vet…

Greetings, I am visiting my mother...
Greetings,

I am visiting my mother on the island of Dominica in the Caribbean. Unfortunately, two days before we returned to her home, her sweet dog, Mystery was hit by a car. Those who were caring for Mystery elected to not take her to a vet, although my mother encouraged them to over telephone. When we arrived, Mystery was obviously in a great deal of pain. When she stands, her back is curved (which indicates spinal injury?) and she is very lethargic. She can hobble around on three legs and wag her tail. She is currently eating, but we have only actually seen her go pee. She is an outdoor dog and could be doing her business where we cannot see.

We took her to a vet (who primarily deals with livestock), and he administered injections of an anti-inflammatory and antibiotics. The quality of animal care on this island is very primitive and we can mostly hope for the best. I am afraid for the worst and my mother and I are beginning to think that Mystery is beginning to have a less than successful chance for recovery.

I would appreciate any advice to help out Mystery. Many thanks.
6/25/2010
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

How sad to hear of Mystery's condition. I am encouraged to hear that she is eating and as far as bowel movements, she may be going elsewhere, but she may be getting constipated. It is not uncommon for dogs with hindquarter or spinal pain to not pass stool simply because it hurts too much. If you are able to keep her stools a little on the softer side, that would help. Encourage extra water intake and add a fiber type product. Powdered metamucil or bran or even canned pumpkin can increase her fiber and may help. Maybe you could keep her indoors for 24 hrs or so to verify that she is moving her bowels, if not maybe your vet could perform a rectal exam to evaluate her for constipation.

Without an xray, it is impossible to say if there is a fracture that she is dealing with. Even if so, often times these are left to heal on their own anyway. It sounds like her nerve function is intact if she is walking and wagging her tail. The biggest concern I would have at this point from what you describe is her comfort level. Keeping her pain level under control is probably the best you can do. There is not much available over the counter that is safe and effective, especially if the vet already gave her an anti-inflammatory. I would inquire with him as to possible stronger pain medication that would be safe for her if she needs continued coverage as time goes on. She may simply need time to heal and that may be weeks to months. Supportive care from you to make her recovery easier is all you can do.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
This sounds very encouraging, I am going to try to do all that you suggest and we will hope for the best. Many thanks!
It sounds like she is in the best hands around over there. Please keep me posted of her recovery.