Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have two indoor/outdoor dogs. One of them has a bladder…

Customer Question
I have two indoor/outdoor dogs...
I have two indoor/outdoor dogs. One of them has a bladder infection because he peed in the house and it had blood in it. I called the vet and they said after I figure out which dog it is..then I can bring him in for antibiotics. Problem is... How do I figure out which dog it is? I don't always see them when they are going pee. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Try to keep them both crated for a good 6-8 hours and then take them outside individually and collect the urine in a small bowl/ Tupperware container. Have your vet test both of the urine samples if it's hard to tell or just the one that is bloody. A course of antibiotics should clear the infection.

The dog that has the infection will also likely be trying to go outside more often and may be a little less excited about food or even vomiting.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.