Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

dog: is walking around with his penis hanging..hump things he is 13yrs…

Customer Question
My little dog is walking...
My little dog is walking around with his penis hanging out, he doesn't hump things he is 13yrs. this very unusual, can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

A dog can still get an erection even when neutered. If the tip of the penis becomes stuck on the other side of the prepuce (foreskin) then it can get swollen and red. One thing to look for are any hair rings caught around the penis. You can push back the prepuce and look at the penis for this. If you don't see any, then I'd take some KY jelly and rub it on the penis then pull out on the prepuce to allow the penis to slide back in and this will allow the inflammation/ edema to go down and the signs to resolve.

If the penis looks purple/ black or if you see any hair rings, then you should get him seen right away.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.