Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

mixed breed: 10 year old..year old male..eat..thrown

Customer Question
My dog, Taz, is a...
My dog, Taz, is a 10 year old male mixed breed. He is shivering a lot but it is not cold inside at all, and even when he is covered up he is still shivering. He will not eat and has thrown up once in the past three days. He has only been like this for the past three days and is usually very active. I live in a small outport town and there are no vets here. Can you guys please tell me what might be wrong and if it is serious or not?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there.

Has Taz been moving normally or does he appear in pain?

Could he have gotten into anything that was odd to eat?

Thanks!
He does appear to be in pain. As far as I know he has not had anything odd to eat. He gets fed his normal dog food, both wet and dry and every now and then we will give him table scraps - usually wild meat. I am very concerned, Taz has been with me since I was only 5 years old and he is a very important part of my life. I hope you can help in some way, we need him in our life.
Thanks for the info.

This shivering is due to pain and it could be that he has injured a disc in his back that is causing this much pain. He may also have arthritis that has become severe and this can only be explained by xrays.

Since he did vomit, there is a chance that for some reason his kidneys have shut down.

For now, give Taz aspirin at 5 mg per pound of his weight given every 12 hrs. Be sure you force feed him 2-3 ounces of a liquefied canned food prior to giving the aspirin since this could cause stomach ulcers. Also, give him Pedialyte 1-2 ounces every 4 hrs to keep him from getting dehydrated.

This shivering could also be due to a fever and it would be good to purchase a rectal thermometer and take his temp. Normal is 101 and anything over 104 could indicate an infection. If this is the case, you will have to have your vet examine Taz since he may require antibiotics.

Good Luck!!