Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

The answer we got previously suggested a complete work up including…

Customer Question
The answer we got previously...
The answer we got previously suggested a complete work up including stool tests etc. Our veterinarian asked what she should be looking for. That is frustrating. Dog still is not improving. We have switched vets and the dog now sees a dermatologist. Nothing but experimentation and more than $7000 in cost.

The dog, a samoyed, now has large bald areas on back and stomach. Sites start with a waxy discharge through skin, which spreads. Hair pulls out with no resistance in these areas. Discharge, which forms like a scab eventually dries up and falls away. But the discharge moves on. Closest thing I can relate this to is mucous. A similar discharge comes out of his eyes. He also now has an ear infection.

We now make his food, boiled pork and yams +. Antibiotics and topical sprays and creams have not worked. Someone out there must have seen this before and successfully treated it. What about allergy shots?

Larry
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
HI Larry!

It seems that the discharge from his skin is due to over active Sebaceous Glands. These are glands in the hair follicles that secrete a waxy oily substance. When they are over active, this substance will cause this waxy look on his skin and the hair will get stuck in it and pull out. This is not the substance that is coming from his eyes but this discharge , if it is a clear mucous is probably due to this other illness.

Unless Monte is scratching, an allergy or steroid injection will not help. It would be best to biopsy Monte's skin to see if this is the sebaceous glands. If this is the case, baths in an antiseborheic shampoo will help but other treatments will depend on what the biopsy tells us. If this is over active gland,s there is no treatment besides baths.

Larry, your Dermatologist should do these tests to tell you for sure what will help Monte.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the answer, which really isn't an answer. We have not biopsied the discharge. We are told it could be inconclusive. Frankly, we are frustrated that nobody seems to have seen this before, and treated it successfully.

The dog has been cultured numerous times. We are told it is a resistant organism. But unkown. By the way, the discharge from his eyes is identical. Comes out as a black discharge with mucous like consistency, and quickly hardens.

On his skin, the discharge shows up in one area. We don't typically find it until it has thickened to about 1/16th inch deep and has dried. Once the hair has fallen out, the discharge migrates further from the original site after the fur has fallen out. Once it has migrated the skin returns to normal pink, is not flaky and is not oily etc. Fur slowly grows back. Two months ago, the dog appeared to be virtually cured with diet and a 6 week antibiotic regime, plus frequent baths. We bathed him in medicated shampoo a couple of days before a dermatologist appointment. My wife also introduced pro-biotics and gave him omega fatty acids at the suggestion of a health food store. Three variables, not expecting a negative reaction. By the next day, he had the discharge again on his back and stomach. The area on his back has grown to about 8" in diameter. On his stomach, the area is now more than 1 square foot. The discharge and scabby material has migrated to the outside of these areas, and has not returned after it has moved on. It appears that this organism, consumes something and then moves on. Is the mucous a defence reaction or something else.

We are very frustrated by this as you can tell.

Larry

HI again, Larry.

I certainly understand your frustrations with this condition. I still believe that this condition is due to a Sebaceous Adenitis. This is more common in Samoyed and the symptoms are similar.
'
When I mentioned biopsy, I meant to biopsy the skin itself=. Histopath could well confirm this diagnosis. This has been theorized to be an autoimmune condition and treatments are directed to this as well as the secondary skin infections that come along with this.

ASk your vet.....

here is more information...Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/sebaceous-adenitis/page1.aspx

I hope this helps some,. Larry. At least it will give you another avenue to investigate.