Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My husband and I are on a getaway in Montauk with our 4 year…

Customer Question
My husband and I are...
My husband and I are on a getaway in Montauk with our 4 year old schnauzer, Salty. Salty has been having diarrhea for a few weeks. We took him to his local vet about two weeks ago and did blood tests and stool tests. Everything came out negative. He's been having a grand time out in the sun on the beach. Last night he started with diarrhea and vomiting. He threw up undigested food in the middle of the night. He keeps sitting down anxiously and moving close to me for comfort. Whenever he lays down, he gets up within minutes to get more comfortable or to sit and lick his lips for a minute. He's burping. He's drinking water. I have monitored how much he's drinking because I don't want him to throw up, but I am glad he's drinking water. He usually throws up within 10 minutes of drinking water. When he lays down, his back legs shake. His eyes look sad. What do I do? My instinct is to take him to the vet. I have insurance for him, but it's 5am and the emergency vet is 45 minutes away in the opposite direction from where we live. What do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian

I would be very concerned about pancreatitis. Mini Schnauzers are a breed that is highly predisposed to pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas. I am including a link for you to look at.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

It is certainly possible that Salty has something else going on besides pancreatitis, but with the symptoms you describe, he still needs to be evaluated as soon as possible and treated. He sounds very uncomfortable.

I would strongly suggest taking him to the emergency vet right away.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Thank you for response, Dr. Bruce.

He was checked for pancreatitis by blood test and stool sample within the past two weeks. Is there anything else it could be?

And if you do think it could be pancreatitis still, is there anything we can do from here until we can get to a vet?

Even if he was checked 2 weeks ago, it does not guarantee that he doesn't have it now. Also, if the vet did not do a test that is specific for pancreatitis (cPL snap test, or a pancreatic lipase specific blood test), then the tests may have been falsely negative.

It could certainly be other conditions besides pancreatitis, such as an obstruction or an intestinal infection. The fact that he is vomiting so readily is not a good sign. Regardless of the cause, he needs to be addressed soon since he will become dehydrated easily with all the vomiting.

For now, do not let him eat anything. Allow him to drink only small amounts of water at a time. If he can hold that down, than he can have more water every 30 minutes or so. Dehydration is the biggest concern at this moment.

However, if he can't even hold down small amounts of water, than he needs to be seen immediately.

I hope this helps.