Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ihave 2 1/2 year old tiny toy poodle who has allergies. The…

Customer Question
Ihave 2 1/2 year old...
Ihave 2 1/2 year old tiny toy poodle who has allergies. The vet says he has an extra eyelid which is causing infections. I asked about allergies and he said it costs too much to find out if he has allergies. He prescribed tobramycin opthalmic solutionusp 0.3%. He keeps giving me the same thing for the last 2 years and it never clears up. His eyes water all the time, he sneezes, scratches and gets a really dirty ear as well as dermatitis between his toes on one side. All of this is on one side, some times when he is sneezing he sounds like a horse whinning. I am 75 and can not keep taking him to the vet monentarily. I gave him a piece of my zertec and it got better but I don't feel it is right.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/24/2010
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

How much does Jazzie weight?

Do he itch all the time year round or just certain times of the year?

Thanks.

Jazzie weighs 8 lbs. He itches all year. I have used medicated shampoo which helps some, he ison a potatoe and duck dog food. The only thing that helps is when I give him 2 1/2 mg of zertec. but this is my medicine and I am not comfortable giving it to him.

Thanks for the info.

Jazzie most likely has food allergy. And food allergy requires the use of special veterinary only diet, not over the counter food, because all over the counter products contain some type of chicken or beef by-product. I would highly suggest to ask your vet for one of the following diet and use that exclusively, which means no treats at all, no table food etc. Use only that food only. I would suggest to use Iams KO (Kangaroo and Oats) or Iams FP (Fish and Potato) or Prescription Diet d/d. To help with the itching temporarily, you can certainly use Zyrtec. But you CANNOT use the Zyrtec-D. Only regular Zyrtec can be used. The normal dose of Zyrtec is 5 mg for your dog, given every 12 hours. If you do not use the food, then you will have to use Zyrtec year round.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

I tried giving jazzie 5 mg of zertec which you recommended giving every12 hours. He shook for a day and a half was very ill. I only take 10 milligrams every 24 hours, and I weigh 150 lbs not 8. I feel this is not good information.