Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
33084435

my dog ate too much tonight... he went into his dog food bag

my dog ate too much tonight... he went into his dog food bag and we found him in it. e is a 9 mo old shih szu and weighs 12 lbs. his belly is hard on the left. what do we do?

Does he seem uncomfortable?

Is he vomiting or retching?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, just acting lazy. hes drinking a lot of water. should we make him throw up or just wait? his belly is just VERY large and round, hes only a lil dog. im just concerned of a stomach rupture or something.

I would wait it out. It is very very rare for a stomach to rupture, and in those cases it is because the stomach is diseased. A normal healthy stomach can expand to incredible dimensions with no ill effects. I would just watch and wait at this point. It is very unlikely that he will have any problems with this besides a very uncomfortable belly for a while (sort of like at thanksgiving after the main meal!) which should subside over the next hour or two.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, he is a very healthy little dog. when should we worry? after two or more hours?

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Internet is spotty where I am. I would worry if he does not seem to be getting more comfortable in a few hours (6-12 hours), or if he starts to act ill (vomiting, gums are white, crying in pain, etc).

I will be online for the next hour or so, if you want to give me an update on his condition.

I hope this helps.